OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm sitting here listening to the sweet sounds of my Trident doing a scheduled test, I suddenly heard my ATK turn on, and then I realized why sometimes I have randomly low test results from my Trident. My ATK tubing is right next to my Trident sample line in the return chamber of my sump, so the sample has been artificially diluted with RO/DI water if the ATK happens to run right before or during a test. To get around this, I added several If Time Then OFF statements to my ATK programming to block it from running within a 15 minute window of my Trident schedule.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm sitting here listening to the sweet sounds of my Trident doing a scheduled test, I suddenly heard my ATK turn on, and then I realized why sometimes I have randomly low test results from my Trident. My ATK tubing is right next to my Trident sample line in the return chamber of my sump, so the sample has been artificially diluted with RO/DI water if the ATK happens to run right before or during a test. To get around this, I added several If Time Then OFF statements to my ATK programming to block it from running within a 15 minute window of my Trident schedule.

How you did that on the atk programming?

Super interesting and really appreciate all the info, just got my second week with my trident and already did the calibration and absolutely right your info in comparison with the hanna checkers. Happy reefing [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you did that on the atk programming?

Super interesting and really appreciate all the info, just got my second week with my trident and already did the calibration and absolutely right your info in comparison with the hanna checkers. Happy reefing [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

I have my Trident configured for 8 tests per day, so I just added those times in my ATK programming to block it from running, with 5 minutes in advance of each test:

If Time 23:55 to 00:25 Then OFF
If Time 02:55 to 03:15 Then OFF
If Time 05:55 to 06:25 Then OFF
If Time 08:55 to 09:15 Then OFF
If Time 11:55 to 12:25 Then OFF
If Time 14:55 to 15:15 Then OFF
If Time 17:55 to 18:25 Then OFF
If Time 20:55 to 21:15 Then OFF

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the trident?

I'm still loving the Trident! I have completely forgotten how much time I used to spend manually testing alk and calcium in the past, and I love how it can show me changes in parameters within a few hours so I can avoid unintended swings. A perfect example was the huge drop in alkalinity when I changed my GFO media. Prior to the Trident I had no idea that GFO had such an impact on alkalinity.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still loving the Trident! I have completely forgotten how much time I used to spend manually testing alk and calcium in the past, and I love how it can show me changes in parameters within a few hours so I can avoid unintended swings. A perfect example was the huge drop in alkalinity when I changed my GFO media. Prior to the Trident I had no idea that GFO had such an impact on alkalinity.

Awesome [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting the full amount of tests from the bottles? Any issues with calcium readings? I appreciate the feedback!!!!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting the full amount of tests from the bottles? Any issues with calcium readings? I appreciate the feedback!!!!

Yes, my reagents are lasting as advertised, although I have my testing schedule set for 8/4/4 tests per day rather than the default of 4/2/2 tests, so I am burning through it at twice the rate. I’ve found that when Trident reports a bottle is empty there’s still enough left in the bottle for several more tests, so I reset the reagent levels and let it run for a couple more days before I actually replace the reagent and then reset the counter again.

I have not had any problems with readings.

kennytze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my Alk at 8.1 and had almost 100 ml of reagent A left when trident said to replace reagent. So what I am doing now is 4 & 2 testing and running a manual Alk test during the day, resetting reagent level on first bottle of A until it runs out. 5 & 2 tests a day.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune just released a new AOS version today that eliminates much of the robot sounds from the Trident. I just installed it and it's now MUCH more quiet. It doesn't even seem to bother my dog now, which is great! He used to pace or leave the room when the Trident was testing, but now he's just laying near the tank with no issues while it's testing.

See https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?27319-AOS-5-05_7C19-is-now-available!

This update also contains a fix for FMM modules, but they only recommend installing the update if your FMM exhibits a particular issue. Mine have been fine, so I'm leaving them alone.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune just released a new AOS version today that eliminates much of the robot sounds from the Trident. I just installed it and it's now MUCH more quiet. It doesn't even seem to bother my dog now, which is great! He used to pace or leave the room when the Trident was testing, but now he's just laying near the tank with no issues while it's testing.

See https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?27319-AOS-5-05_7C19-is-now-available!

This update also contains a fix for FMM modules, but they only recommend installing the update if your FMM exhibits a particular issue. Mine have been fine, so I'm leaving them alone.

That’s great! How has your accuracy been? What about accuracy when changing reagents? Do you get the proper amount of tests from it?

ShinerMaginer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are reagent supplies still hard to get? I’ve been holding off jumping in because I’ve heard people have had to get them from the US.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly 5 months now with my Trident, I still love it! The controlled dosing is doing a great job keeping things stable. Here are my target levels:

Alk = 8.20 dKH
Cal = 420 ppm
Mag = 1350 ppm

Here are my latest measurements:

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 3.12.10 PM.png

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post one of the graphs you have done in the past showing the testing throughout the day? Really liked seeing them! Also you still testing 8 times a day?

Found this thread very useful even without a trident just gaining a better understanding on the alk usage throughout the day.

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef could you share with us where did you end up in terms of dosing percentage and time of the day on your DOS for each part? Ty!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef could you share with us where did you end up in terms of dosing percentage and time of the day on your DOS for each part? Ty!

Here's my DOS sechedule that's been really stable for at least a month now:

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 12.45.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 12.45.40 PM.png

U

User1

View Badges
I only recently started to dose ALK but recently added Ca to the mix. I'm using ESV 2-part (I don't think that matters) but was under the impression that we needed to delay the two by 5 minutes or so. This way the dosing unit lags one vs. the other to help prevent precipitation. Then I recall reading in the Neptune official forums that it doesn't matter with this unit because of the stepper mother (or whatever type it is) - it limits the risk of this happening.

And I think I also read you use a power head in the sump which is a great idea pointed at the drip destination. Something I am not doing.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back