Trident Reagent C Dissolves PETG Plastic?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several months ago I purchased some Trident Reagent Needle Guides off of Etsy from SmartReefIntegration. They are made of PETG plastic.

Well this morning I opened up the reagents bottles to refill them with my ABC reagents and noticed that my needle guide on bottle C was missing. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the reagent degraded it. Only pieces remain...

I'm not certain what chemical reagent C is, however, it appears it may be incompatible with PETG plastic.

I should say that I am using ABC reagents and typically just top off the bottles as they get low. The needle guide appears to have been in contact with the solution.

I'm curious if anyone knows what Reagent C solution is made from or if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Needle Guide Damage.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using petg needle guides and abc reagents for a while now and I have never had this happen. Although I don’t think I’ve ever filled the bottles so high that the guides would’ve came in contact with the reagent. I’m sure at some point while removing the lids to refill the reagent I have gotten at least a little bit on the guides.

I wonder how long it takes to happen, because I may put a little reagent in a jar and drop a piece of petg in it to see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using petg needle guides and abc reagents for a while now and I have never had this happen. Although I don’t think I’ve ever filled the bottles so high that the guides would’ve came in contact with the reagent. I’m sure at some point while removing the lids to refill the reagent I have gotten at least a little bit on the guides.

I wonder how long it takes to happen, because I may put a little reagent in a jar and drop a piece of petg in it to see what happens.
I will admit that I fill the bottles up pretty full and only run two tests a day. But I have only had these since November. I can't imagine that they would be in contact with the solution for very long as the level in the bottle drops as it is used up over the days following a refill.

I did email the seller and he immediately replied stating that he has never heard of this happening. I sent him some pictures and am awaiting a reply.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium reagents generally contain potassium hydroxide (potash), which will break down PET.

I don't have a MSDS for the Trident reagents but its likely the issue here.

ABS has better compatibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Magnesium reagents generally contain potassium hydroxide (potash), which will break down PET.

I don't have a MSDS for the Trident reagents but its likely the issue here.

ABS has better compatibility.
The seller actually said he’s going to send me a couple different versions of the product. The one is ABS, so perhaps I will try that one when it gets here.

Thank you very much for the information.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back