Triggerfish Advice

Dave770

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice! I have a 90 gallon fowlr with a clown pair, butterflyfish, spot tail blenny, dwarf angel, filefish, and one anthia. Any recommendations on triggers?

Always wanted a humu, and I had a blue jaw in my reef tank that I loved (before it went carpet surfing). If it's simply incompatible I understand, but I'd really like a trigger in my 90 fowlr.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my humu, but he tries to murder most new additions. He's fine with his tankmates, just not new guys. I like the blue jaws and the seem to be pretty docile.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attitude wise the only ones I'd trust with your line up would be a bluejaw or red tail. Some people will recommend smaller tanks for them but I think a 90 may be too small. My bluejaws don't cover a huge amount of space, but you are usually looking at 3.5-4" at the smallest purchase size and about an inch a year or year and an half in growth to about maybe 7" in a home aquarium. The humu or the other hand you could get really small, like as small as 1", and they grow painfully slow; it would probably be 7 years or so for them to get even close to 4-5". Problem is it's a gamble with how aggressive they turn out. I personally have always had really good ones, but I've known 2 people that had vicious murderous ones.

OP
OP
Dave770

Dave770

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input! Sounding like either a blue jaw or red tail for my current setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.5%
Back