Triton ICP test Results

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for a long time, over 15 years. Early on I learned I could be successful using ro water and doing water changes every 2 weeks religiously. Up until recently this approach has worked for me. Unfortunately my knowledge of reef chemistry and testing of parameters has not lacked. I rarely test if ever since I rarely had issues.

Recently I am having coral issues. Some of my mushrooms are shrinking and my lps polyp extension has withdrawn also. I have begun gathering test kits and just received the results of my first Triton ICP test, pdf is attached.

Below are some of the things that may be contributing to the levels that are off-
- New bucket of IO reef crystals [normally get by the box] did not have issues before I started using this bucket mix. I will test the next batch I make. I need to order a iron test kit.

- dosing brightwell aquatics CoralAmino, mix with reef feast sometimes
- dosing some brightwell aquatics Restor, mix with reef feast sometimes
- began dosing NeoNotro to try and balance nitrates / phosphates

I dont see any magnet or metal issues that are obvious. I pulled my magfloat and mp40 wetsides for cleaning and inspection but see nothing obvious. I have been doing increased water changes 2 x a week. I think I am going to change to tropic marine pro or red sea blue bucket salt.

Any ideas/advice? I think if I don't get this figured out in the next week or two some of the torches, hammers and maybe mushrooms won't recover.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 150 Gallon LPS_Soft Reef - 01_31_2021 (B-KJ6WW4).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing faith in the testing/results provided by the send-in vendors, especially when the timeline is affected

So many threads/posts, with most leading to more tweaking than needed.
Many questions about "is this OK", leading to too much concern about common levels, without many peeps looking online to read about Ocean levels. And not enough education about some readings.

If your test results show you have detrimental levels of 'X', then all the more power to you.
Use a search engine to see what the Ocean levels of 'X' is

OP
OP
JW3500

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing faith in the testing/results provided by the send-in vendors, especially when the timeline is affected

So many threads/posts, with most leading to more tweaking than needed.
Many questions about "is this OK", leading to too much concern about common levels, without many peeps looking online to read about Ocean levels. And not enough education about some readings.

If your test results show you have detrimental levels of 'X', then all the more power to you.
Use a search engine to see what the Ocean levels of 'X' is
Thanks for your help, that was constructive.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help, that was constructive.
I hope you meant that in a positive way. I wasn't posting to poop on the overall idea of 'send in' testing.
I was only trying to point to the fact where there are so many results from peeps without data to explain the results, leading to concern when not warranted.

OP
OP
JW3500

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you meant that in a positive way. I wasn't posting to poop on the overall idea of 'send in' testing.
I was only trying to point to the fact where there are so many results from peeps without data to explain the results, leading to concern when not warranted.
Yes. I get some folks dont do any research and ask questions first. My issue is not that but analysis by paralysis. Seeing these results for the first time does not help me. Therefore I am simply asking for the advice of reefers who may notice something g particular in the results. I would be ecstatic to learn I only need to get po3 and po4 under control amd that the other levels are not a big deal. However, the high iron levels caught my eye.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I get some folks dont do any research and ask questions first. My issue is not that but analysis by paralysis. Seeing these results for the first time does not help me. Therefore I am simply asking for the advice of reefers who may notice something g particular in the results. I would be ecstatic to learn I only need to get po3 and po4 under control amd that the other levels are not a big deal. However, the high iron levels caught my eye.
Bump for some more answers
Was only thinking you quoted me as un-constructive

If you found my initial reply as useless, please carry on

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to go into more detail...
Fe at 6 ppb is not actually problematically high. Fe supplement products (Red Sea Trace colors etc) ask people to aim for a hundred ppb (0.1+ ppm) or so. So 6 ppb is not detrimental.

The Mg and Ca are high similarly to each other, so sounds like maybe a salt mix or high salinity issue.

PO4 is high but you didn't mention it as a surprise, and there are better ways to measure that than ICP, so I assume you measure PO4 and it's where you want it for your tank. Either way salinity/Mg/Ca (alk too) and PO4 are not best addressed through ICP.

Li shows red but search other threads for high Li and randy's explanation for why Li elevated is of little concern and is common in salt mixes.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back