Triton pre calibration numbers

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my trident yesterday as well as the whole apex. My res sea pro tests disagree with the 2 tests ran by the triton. I know I have to calibrate it after 48hours.

Red sea shows 9dkh 450ca and 1360 mag... these are good numbers.... trident however
Screenshot_20220131-122249_APEX Fusion.jpg

Obviously if it is correct I need to dial back my All for reef a bit.

Running with the idea that these numbers are correct and verified after calibration.... my question is will dialing back all for reef bring my mag down too low?

Also po4 is .18 via Hanna LR. Which can play an effect with all these numbers. A water change would correct the alk but my concer would be that salt mixes about 7dkh. Would 10% be too large and cause a too large of swing?

Forgive me here I am trying to get this dialed in best I can and this is a learning curve. I calibrate the trident tomorrow

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I set up my trident yesterday as well as the whole apex. My res sea pro tests disagree with the 2 tests ran by the triton. I know I have to calibrate it after 48hours.

Red sea shows 9dkh 450ca and 1360 mag... these are good numbers.... trident however
Screenshot_20220131-122249_APEX Fusion.jpg

Obviously if it is correct I need to dial back my All for reef a bit.

Running with the idea that these numbers are correct and verified after calibration.... my question is will dialing back all for reef bring my mag down too low?
I do not think you necessarily need to do anything - I have had a calcium that high. In the case where 2 tests disagree - one way to decide which is right - is - Which results agree most closely with your last Red Sea . The other way is to get a third test (new - a different brand). My hope/guess - is that you do not need to do anything (ie. that your apex needs calibration:)
Also po4 is .18 via Hanna LR. Which can play an effect with all these numbers. A water change would correct the alk but my concer would be that salt mixes about 7dkh. Would 10% be too large and cause a too large of swing?

Forgive me here I am trying to get this dialed in best I can and this is a learning curve. I calibrate the trident tomorrow
Great - I would wait - until you calibrate the trident before doing anything - I think you're making the correct decision.

One other comment - how does the tank look? if everything is thriving doing well - as usual - the numbers don't matter as much. Will keep my fingers crossed that your trident calibration corrects this. Also - I didn't have the time - but look up the 'margins of error' of the hanna and Red Sea tests. I do not think the 2 Mg measurements you show are significantly different. Additionally, the alkalinity. The Ca - does not seem right (shouldn't be off that much).

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you necessarily need to do anything - I have had a calcium that high. In the case where 2 tests disagree - one way to decide which is right - is - Which results agree most closely with your last Red Sea . The other way is to get a third test (new - a different brand). My hope/guess - is that you do not need to do anything (ie. that your apex needs calibration:)

Great - I would wait - until you calibrate the trident before doing anything - I think you're making the correct decision.

One other comment - how does the tank look? if everything is thriving doing well - as usual - the numbers don't matter as much. Will keep my fingers crossed that your trident calibration corrects this. Also - I didn't have the time - but look up the 'margins of error' of the hanna and Red Sea tests. I do not think the 2 Mg measurements you show are significantly different. Additionally, the alkalinity. The Ca - does not seem right (shouldn't be off that much).

Hope this helps
Looks fine. I struggle with acros, stn but added a t5 to my led and since the tank has looked better, also aging is helping a ton. A bta looks perfect, hammer coral and some zoas look great as well and the Coraline is growing everywhere now. I think it's stable but the numbers had me thinking.
I would think I would have e calcium precipitating at that number

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks fine. I struggle with acros, stn but added a t5 to my led and since the tank has looked better, also aging is helping a ton. A bta looks perfect, hammer coral and some zoas look great as well and the Coraline is growing everywhere now. I think it's stable but the numbers had me thinking.
I would think I would have e calcium precipitating at that number
Lets wait for the calibration. It might be nice to see a picture o the tank:)

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets wait for the calibration. It might be nice to see a picture o the tank:)
So. I calibrated and it appears the numbers are pretty accurate. I've shut off my AFR dosing. 6ml per day. It was divided up in 12 doses. I will hold on a water change. I use TM Pro and it mixes at about 7dkh. And a 10% change would be a big swing I would think? I can let the calcium come back down then see where I need to be dosing. If any at all

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So. I calibrated and it appears the numbers are pretty accurate. I've shut off my AFR dosing. 6ml per day. It was divided up in 12 doses. I will hold on a water change. I use TM Pro and it mixes at about 7dkh. And a 10% change would be a big swing I would think? I can let the calcium come back down then see where I need to be dosing. If any at all
So you're believing the Trident? I think thats also the best idea. BTW - I really think your parameters are not 'bad'. Decreasing dosing is probably a good idea!

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're believing the Trident? I think thats also the best idea. BTW - I really think your parameters are not 'bad'. Decreasing dosing is probably a good idea!
I do. And I think I was the cause of death with my first tester acros. Not bringing the DKH up in my water change water. So hovering around 11dkh and then doing somewhere around a 15 to 20% wc with 7dkh water. I could be wrong on this but I would imagine they didn't like the swing. I have some LPS, zoas, a BTA among other things thriving so I was at a loss. This makes me think I did it. The apex is an amazing tool I'm seeing. I'll post an update in a few days

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update. I did 2 waterchanges in 48hours. Which brought my Alk level to 9.71 via trident... however I still have super high Calc. 570 which is climbing from when I started. I haven't dosed for a week now. MG has come down ever so slightly to 1254. I'm at a loss here.

Red Sea test is showing 420 cal . The trident was calibrated and when ran with the calibration fluid read correctly
Screenshot_20220205-141801_APEX Fusion.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So update. I did 2 waterchanges in 48hours. Which brought my Alk level to 9.71 via trident... however I still have super high Calc. 570 which is climbing from when I started. I haven't dosed for a week now. MG has come down ever so slightly to 1254. I'm at a loss here.

Red Sea test is showing 420 cal . The trident was calibrated and when ran with the calibration fluid read correctly
Screenshot_20220205-141801_APEX Fusion.jpg
I guess it would seem like either The trident or the red-sea is wrong. I hate to tell you this but - get a third test.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back