Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt Alkalinity 5.2 dKH

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has low Alkalinity and I have been using kalkwasser to raise it. I just mixed a new batch of saltwater and tested with my Hanna HI772.

Salinity: 34.9 (~1.025)
Temp: 72.7
Alkalinity: 5.2dKH

Did I do something wrong? I was under the impression that a fresh batch of saltwater would yield a 7 dKH or so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Gaspare

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a bucket sitting at home, so glad I frequent the forums lately, been seeing a ****storm on TM salt made in Turkey.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

How are you measuring salinity?
With a Hanna Salinity Tester Pen HI98319

FWIW, 34.9 ppt corresponds to about sg = 1.0263.
I'll take your word for it :) I was using a chart that didn't show my temp. so I ball'parked it

Also bear in mind that the Hanna HI772 has an uncertainty of +/- 0.3 dKH
True but even adding .5 dKH the alkalinity is 5.7 dKH.

This is my first bucket of salt, and I purchased it via BRS's rave reviews on it. I may have to consider an alternative if this is the case.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

With a Hanna Salinity Tester Pen HI98319

I'll take your word for it :) I was using a chart that didn't show my temp. so I ball'parked it

True but even adding .5 dKH the alkalinity is 5.7 dKH.

This is my first bucket of salt, and I purchased it via BRS's rave reviews on it. I may have to consider an alternative if this is the case.
Look at the bucket and where it's made, if it's a "Made in Turkey" batch, that's bad luck, and I'd reach out to BRS or Tropic Marin to see if they'll make it right. If it's a Made in Germany Batch, I'd try to measure again, mine (Made in Germany) Is spot on 7dKH every time I mix and have never had any issues. But there are reports that new batches, made in Turkey, are littered with all kinds of issues. Since for me 7 dKH is still too low, I still dose Alk to make it 8.5, but for sure I'd either re-test, or call them and complain so they make it right for you. 5.2 is way too low.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the bucket and where it's made, if it's a "Made in Turkey" batch, that's bad luck, and I'd reach out to BRS or Tropic Marin to see if they'll make it right. If it's a Made in Germany Batch, I'd try to measure again, mine (Made in Germany) Is spot on 7dKH every time I mix and have never had any issues. But there are reports that new batches, made in Turkey, are littered with all kinds of issues. Since for me 7 dKH is still too low, I still dose Alk to make it 8.5, but for sure I'd either re-test, or call them and complain so they make it right for you. 5.2 is way too low.
So funny enough, I drained my SW reservoir into a 5 gallon bucket yesterday to try and make a 100% fresh batch with little to no remainder water.

What I will do is:
1. Read the Made in X on the bucket
2. Test the New Batch
3. Test the Old Batch

And report all 3 here :)

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's produced next door to the Jagermeister factory. (It's made in Germany)

I'll test the two bins later today.

Thank you!

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic marin pro always has low alk when mixing, usual 7 or below, so 5.2 does seem a little low..using the salt for yrs and when I mix I usually will dose to my tank parameter for alk

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread ended with the original poster cleaning his bucket and re-mixing with no issues. That said, there have been other comments about smell from ‘Turkey’ batches.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I'm not hijacking (but might fit):

What's the best additive to mix into your fresh/new saltwater to increase alkalinity by 1 dKH (for use during water change only)?

Does anyone do that?
(Just curious as I'm not looking to change my saltwater source/mix right now)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I'm not hijacking (but might fit):

What's the best additive to mix into your fresh/new saltwater to increase alkalinity by 1 dKH (for use during water change only)?

Does anyone do that?
(Just curious as I'm not looking to change my saltwater source/mix right now)

Baking soda. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,,, so is that a reasonable thing to do?
*saw your calculator,,, so thinking I might try it with "unbaked" baking soda,,, unless there's a good reason to NOT do that (in fresh/new saltwater for water changes)

If you want to raise alkalinity in the salt mix, yes. Not many folks feel the need. More want to lower it.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,,, so is that a reasonable thing to do?
*saw your calculator,,, so thinking I might try it with "unbaked" baking soda,,, unless there's a good reason to NOT do that (in fresh/new saltwater for water changes)
Baking Soda = Sodium Bicarbonate = Raise Alk without affecting pH
Baked Baking Soda = Soda Ash = Sodium Carbonate = Raise Alk AND pH

technically both affect pH to some small degree, one just does it much less so than the other.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread ended with the original poster cleaning his bucket and re-mixing with no issues. That said, there have been other comments about smell from ‘Turkey’ batches.
Yep, and that’s the tread that Lou is watching so it would be something for posters to go to and add their concerns..hense Why I posted it instead of having more pop up where Lou won’t see…

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back