True toxicity of Hanna reagents

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warnings on the Hanna box makes it sound like a single drop/grain of reagent can kill. After spilling reagent multiple times, I want to know how dangerous they really are, especially for ULR Phosphate. And should I wear any protective gear while testing?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not to be smart but I have been using Hanna tests (among others like sailfert, redsea etc), including phosphate, for years and still breathing. It of course makes sense to not breathe or eat it and avoid getting on skin. Cut the packet open, pour into vial with water. Simple as that and no reason for even skin contact though it also makes sense to wash hands afterwards or just wear latex gloves.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably wouldn’t want in your eyes or mouth. Wash your hands if you get some on yourself and don’t leave the powder on your workstation.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warnings on the Hanna box makes it sound like a single drop/grain of reagent can kill. After spilling reagent multiple times, I want to know how dangerous they really are, especially for ULR Phosphate. And should I wear any protective gear while testing?
Phosphate ULR reagent SDS.

Attachments

• US_HI774-0_GHS_USA_4.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 119

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SDS provides answers to your questions.

The material can cause burns. Keep it away from your eyes and mouth. Don’t ingest it. There is no toxicological data so we don’t know anything about long term exposure. It appears short term exposure is the issue with this material.

What personal protection you wear seems to depend on the quantity of material being handled. If you worked in a professional lab, you would likely be required to wear latex or nitrile gloves because you would be working with small quantities but many times a day. Your exposure risk is higher than occasional use of a small amount of material.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! "is what we've been turned into" a nanny culture! Gawd, not being rude whatsoever but it's no different then doing laundry, your careful using bleach right. You don't smell house hold ammonia so it's down to common sense..

-Don't snort it
-Don't eat it
-Ect

If it were so toxic you'd have a hard time buying the reagents I'd think but again they label it accordingly.. but it'll be interesting to see posts others make. Maybe Its because I was born in a non Nanny time of my life that I just shake my head at some of the things this world has made us.. turned everyone into fear mongers or shall I say ppl turn others into scaremongering?

;)

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a lab, like mine, you would be required to wear eye protection, gloves, and a lab coat.
Hey Randy, do they still use lime water for calcium? I never hear that phrase anymore but we used to use lime water 20 plus years ago. If people are worried about Hannah reagents that would be a walk in the park versus playing with lime water powder.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, do they still use lime water for calcium? I never hear that phrase anymore but we used to use lime water 20 plus years ago. If people are worried about Hannah reagents that would be a walk in the park versus playing with lime water powder.

Everyone uses the german word for it, kalkwasser. I try to get people to use english, limewater, but I'm rarely successful. lol

Lots of people use it.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! "is what we've been turned into" a nanny culture! Gawd, not being rude whatsoever but it's no different then doing laundry, your careful using bleach right. You don't smell house hold ammonia so it's down to common sense..

-Don't snort it
-Don't eat it
-Ect

If it were so toxic you'd have a hard time buying the reagents I'd think but again they label it accordingly.. but it'll be interesting to see posts others make. Maybe Its because I was born in a non Nanny time of my life that I just shake my head at some of the things this world has made us.. turned everyone into fear mongers or shall I say ppl turn others into scaremongering?

;)
I hear ya! So true!!

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone uses the german word for it, kalkwasser. I try to get people to use english, limewater, but I'm rarely successful. lol

Lots of people use it.
Btw. There was another thread recently discussing protective gear and kalk. There was a discussion about how the solution loses potency after 48 hrs. I found some literature you wrote a while back that says it doesn’t lose much based on conductivity tests. Is that still the current thinking?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Don't snort it
-Don't eat it
-Ect

;)
I hear ya. I'm still trying to figure out how some stuff causes cancer in Cali but not anywhere else :thinking-face:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. There was another thread recently discussing protective gear and kalk. There was a discussion about how the solution loses potency after 48 hrs. I found some literature you wrote a while back that says it doesn’t lose much based on conductivity tests. Is that still the current thinking?

Loss of potency depends on what is happening to it. It loses potency fast if stirred in air, but so fast not when just sitting, especially in large containers, and allowed to sometimes even skin over with calcium carbonate on top.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear a mask and nitrile gloves, I guess I grew up in Nanny culture

Here's how I picture @fullinfusion after using his Hanna kits

the sandlot dust GIF

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear a mask and nitrile gloves, I guess I grew up in Nanny culture

Here's how I picture @fullinfusion after using his Hanna kits

the sandlot dust GIF
Lol yes that was me being a kid for sure!

I work daily in biosecurity for my job. So I'm not worried about using Hannah reagents.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back