Trying to design a cabinet where everything fits

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to design a cabinet to sit next to the tank in my next build. This cabinet will be LARGE as it will house the sump and most of the equipment. I'm not very good at designing these things, so I'm wondering what steps I should take in trying to work it all out. I really need a "Designing an Equipment Space for Dummies" guide! LOL!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figure step 1 is listing all equipment that will go in there. It's after that step that I get overwhelmed. Trying to figure out a layout where everything fits and connections are in the right places and access is easy to maintain...etc.

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the equipment already, I'd suggest placing it inside a taped-off square on a floor or a piece of cardboard cut to the size of the floor of the cabinet you intend to build. That will help you envision how easy it will be to work on as you go about the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance. You'll be able to experiment with different layouts and decide what works best.

jaayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now
I figure step 1 is listing all equipment that will go in there. It's after that step that I get overwhelmed. Trying to figure out a layout where everything fits and connections are in the right places and access is easy to maintain...etc.
Now you should sketch your cabinet, identify where each equipment will be in your cabinet and how much space each equipment will take.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm literally in the middle of a large stand with a side cabinet for the 180 upgrade.
Still have to put in the front paneling and cabinet door then paint.
20230711_124136.jpg

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not how reefing should be....... surely you have to cram all of your equipment into the most awkward is spaces and have all your electrical wires dangling perilously close to the water in your sump and having extension leads piggybacking of other extension leads? Surely that's how it's done??

I'm jealous you are able to plan it out and get it right and safe on your next setup!

How are your cad draughting skills? If not great you could even use tinkercad and basic shapes as approximations for your equipment to lay it all out on the computer?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school: paper cutouts/graph paper.

I start with stuff I know I’m going to need to get too: ATO container, power stuff, skimmer, filter media, reactors. I look at how I can make sure I have access to this stuff. Do you have access to the ends of the stand? If so you could make one a built in electronics area. The other end might provide access to fill ATO. Can you get to the return pumps for easy removal? Reaching under the stand to adjust things gets old.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are your cad draughting skills? If not great you could even use tinkercad and basic shapes as approximations for your equipment to lay it all out on the computer?
Thanks for the tip. I've never actually used CAD at all, so tinkercad might be the way to go.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old school: paper cutouts/graph paper.

I start with stuff I know I’m going to need to get too: ATO container, power stuff, skimmer, filter media, reactors. I look at how I can make sure I have access to this stuff. Do you have access to the ends of the stand? If so you could make one a built in electronics area. The other end might provide access to fill ATO. Can you get to the return pumps for easy removal? Reaching under the stand to adjust things gets old.
Yep! That's the kind of questions I'm asking myself. Trying to be sure access is prioritized. I know that if I can't easily get to things, I'm far less likely to do the necessary maintenance.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice - when i made my 200G stand and cabinet - i did the cardboard thing.
Made the sump out of cardboard and added everything.

My cabinet was half sump, then 1/4 stuff and 1/4 electrical cabinet.

Make sure you coat the inside of the cabinet with an epoxy paint, best thing I did.
I also had a section on the end for all the power boxes...

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon I will be enlarging mine as well . Im building the frame myself and after I get everything under it I’m having a cabinet company build a facade to slide over it with a extra 18” on each side of the tank . Complete with doors and top to match the new cabinets that we will have installed in our kitchen . It will look like it’s sitting on a cabinet made for it but will actually be sitting on a 2x4 constructed stand .

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Stand, with the tank under support the same size as the Aquarium. There were two outrigger cabinets on both sides, for his electronics. The whole thing was covered with 3/4” Plywood. This gave a little shelf on each end to set stuff on when he did maintenance. Also it keeps salt from staining his cabinet doors.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going under that tank if the sump is off to the side?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly getting there
72609E7C-D8E0-417A-9634-91CEC083D456.jpeg

I consider it cheating if your dry-side equipment is not under the actual tank footprint!

(I've started putting more and more stuff on a shelf in the garage and just plumbed through the wall, wet sump stands are a terrible place for most equipment. So I'm extra-cheating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back