Tunicates

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to have multiplying tunicates in my sump/refugium. I found a couple a month ago and today when flipping chaeto discivered that there are several more scattered around. Clear/opaque, multiple intake tubes. Not sponges. I had heard tunicates are hard to keep alive but for some reason mine seem ti be multiplying. Are they harmful to water or other critters?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunicates are harmless filter feeders. So nothing to worry about!

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good sign of a healthy reef environment. Tunicates have several conditional requirements in order to survive & yours sound like they are thriving. Congratulations!

Here’s a good overview, specific to reef aquaria-

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to have multiplying tunicates in my sump/refugium. I found a couple a month ago and today when flipping chaeto discivered that there are several more scattered around. Clear/opaque, multiple intake tubes. Not sponges. I had heard tunicates are hard to keep alive but for some reason mine seem ti be multiplying. Are they harmful to water or other critters?
I have colonial tunicates in my system, but i have never seen them in my sump. Mine live in the shaded and sheltered places under my coral and rock. They ebb and flow in how wide spread they are but I've had them for over 2 years now. Unfortunately, mine are a rather boring black and white and not the bright colors you see in some types.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back