Tunze 3155 ATO question

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my ato and it seems to run on And off a lot. Is this normal? I would think that would wear the pump out pretty quick. I guess I was thinking it would have a little more leeway in it.

image.jpg

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your evaporation rate is what dictates how often it turns on and off, as well as the chamber where the return pump sits. If your tank for example is a 100G tank and evaporates 3-5G a day, and the return pump chamber holds about 1G, the pump will turn on and off a lot. If you have the same tank with the same evaporation rate, but a huge bin as a sump, the pump will probably turn on 2-3 times a day. That being said, the pump will still have to run for long periods of time in the bin situation, which brings its own issues. Either way, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Lots of people have a set up like yours and have no issues.

OP
OP
S

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I understand the evap, it was just how many times it was turning on and off in the 10 minutes since I installed it, but I also made a mistake and stuck the return line underwater = back siphon. Seems much better no. The last few days I’ve been loosing a gallon -1.5G a day. slowly getting it all dialed in.

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your discharge hose submerged in water. If it is there is a possibility that once your pump shuts off a vacuum is created and water is getting sucked back into your top off container. I made this mistake before and my ATO pump would kick on every 30 seconds.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.5%
Back