Tunze 6040 Nanostream Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to just run this in a 29 gallon standard tank alone in the place of 2 Jebao WP-10s? It's rated up to a 130 gallon tank. I have mainly SPS, 2 LPS, 2 Zoa colonies and an RBTA. I feel the flow I have now in it is good but would rather use just 1 pump hidden behind the rock wall I have, who wouldn't?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that when properly aimed and positioned you will get a strong circular current through out the tank and it will work just fine. Keep in mind that the rating of up to 130 gallons takes into account all tank types including freshwater, so realistically on a reef tank the range is up to about 65 and for that I would definitely use 2, up to about 35, I think 1 would be enough. As underwaterparadise stated though, it is always ideal to be able to periodically change the flow direction.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought, thanks guys. I think I'll use all 3 until I can get a second one sometime this year. Maybe put the 2 Jebao on one side and the Tunze on the other while aiming one of the Jebaos on a cross pattern to the other 2.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this tonight in my 29 gallon and it's got some great features but..... it's just not for this tank. No matter where I placed it and what setting I put it on, it just didn't seem to work in my particular application. The way I have my rocks, pre-skimmer and corals it's just too hard maximize flow. It worked great for my SPS but beat up my rbta, hammer and duncan too much. I think I will be starting a 10 or 20 gallon and use this in there with less rock work.

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very surprised if it could not be adapted to work, keep in mind you can control the pump speed, direct the top scoop as needed or even remove it and change the position of the pump to horizontal, vertical, upside down as needed.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I don't doubt I can make it work but I talked with the wife about it and we're just going to use it for our next tank. She and I both feel the way we have it now is working just fine with 2 pumps. So either another tank or just later on buy another 6040.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, well, let me know if I can help further. Thank you!

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give it one more try this weekend and move some things around. I'll let you know what my findings are.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to move my hob skimmer over a few inches, move 5 pieces of rock (luckily they are wedged in and not fastened) and spent a good bit of the night watching the flow and tweaking it a bit. I think I might have it but still looks a bit much for the Hammer and RBTA (I may have to move them but have no clue where yet). Also put on the 7097.050 moonlight to reduce the flow at night and took off the Jebaos so I'm just running the 6040. At least it gave me room to scrape some of the back glass of coraline, lol.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K so 5 days later and I decided to add back 1 of the Jebaos to counter current the 6040. Seems to be a much nicer flow. I really like the 6040 due to the fact it's on the back wall, a bit smaller and has the night drop feature whereas the wp-10 does not. So maybe in the near future I may get another 6040 to replace the wp-10.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback!

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one without the deflector in an 8.6g gorgonian tank. It's neatly hidden in the corner and creates a nice standing wave. It makes the gorgs sway nicely :D

Back