Tunze 9012 skimmer stopped foaming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I've run into an interesting issue, I've had my tunze 9012 skimmer for probably 6 months now, I clean it every month so it doesn't get built up but this morning it had stopped foaming and was just making a slight rattling noise. Any ideas as to what it could be? I'm thinking the impeller is shot.
Thanks,
-Justin

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shaft may have calcium build up on it. Also the magnet.
I use a razor to clean the shaft and magnet.

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen to me, needed a new bubble wheel and shaft. But to fix before i swapped out the pieces just had to blow into the airline, it basically jump starts it and you will here and see the bubble foam starting to be created

Also when i had this issue i just called Tunze and they sent out a replacement part for free! Great customer service

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you may be getting calcium buildup in the venturi
But if it just rattles its the shaft, magnet :)

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been soaked in vinegar twice now and then tried to turn on in RO/di last night with no change. Blowing through it didn't do a thing either. I've been emailing with Roger I'll be getting a new impeller (should have a new shift/magnet with it right?) So it should fix it they're very helpful. Can't tell you how many times a company won't want to help but this one's been easy. Just stressing me running without a skimmer should be fine for a few days though.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some of the most hassle free customer service I've ever had. They're sending out a new impeller I'll update when it's installed. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would do the same thing, to jump start it i had to blow pretty hard into the airline and it would eventually start up. But yes the impeller has the shaft and magnet attached to it.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the part yesterday, very fast turnaround I'm very impressed with how easy that went. Got it all taken apart to find that the impeller had pretty much broken in half. Got it switched out and now it's running like new again. I definitely don't blame tunze, things break it happens and I had a new part within a couple days so it all worked out.
Here's the broken one though if it matters to anyone.
20151103_100253.jpg
Thanks again for all the tips and help.
-J

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the part yesterday, very fast turnaround I'm very impressed with how easy that went. Got it all taken apart to find that the impeller had pretty much broken in half. Got it switched out and now it's running like new again. I definitely don't blame tunze, things break it happens and I had a new part within a couple days so it all worked out.
Here's the broken one though if it matters to anyone.
20151103_100253.jpg
Thanks again for all the tips and help.
-J

This is EXACTLY what just happened to mine!

Back