Turf Algae?

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've had my tank up for a few months and things have been smooth so far. I'm getting some patches of algae (I'm thinking its green turf algae from what I've seen pictures of but maybe someone has a better idea). It's mostly on a rock that would be extremely difficult to remove. I've tried just manually pulling it but its difficult to get more than a little at a time. Should I just focus on lowering my feedings/lowering light schedule? Has anyone had luck with emerald crabs eating it? It hasn't gotten out of control at this point. All my levels seem good.

As always, thanks for the help!

algae.jpg

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear this. I have same exact stuff growing. I've been through the hair algae, but his is different. Just got rid of cyano with a gfo reactor. When I added the reactor this stuff grew more. Hope you don't mind I am teaming up with you on this thread

OP
OP
C

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! hopefully someones had some luck with it. I wouldnt be too concerned if it stays as is but I'm concerned it will just continue to spread.

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same stuff in my tank also it is hard to get rid of have been using rowa phos and manually removing it also added a couple of turbo snail and a blue tuxedo urchin that seem to be helping my tank was covered in it from one side to the other when my tank had a mini crash a couple of months back it is almost gone now except in a few areas don't let it float in the tank if you remove it it will attach elsewhere and start a new spot

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added the gfo, I also added a t8 blue actinic light just as a moon light. I run my 36w led's 8 hours, the actinic 45 mins befor and after. Could the additional light add to the growth?

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a tank big enough for a yellow tang but I would think that it would but then again you might get one that doesn't have a taste for it or any algae for that matter my friends tang refuses to eat algae.

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they do eat this stuff. I have turf in my 180 and only thing that eats it is the emeralds.
+1 on the Emerald, mine goes crazy on this stuff as well as the single turbo i have. I just found a hitchiker starfish that seems to be eating it as well. The star is really really small atm and I cant seem to find him all the time but Im hoping he's a welcomed guest :)

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any specifics to keeping emerald crabs for some reason they die after a week or so of buying them my tank has lots of other Inverts that are happy and healthy but I can't seem to keep emerald crabs alive

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience mine has been plug and play. I put him in and he goes crazy on all types of algae. I have some nutrient off kilter and i give long periods of light so i have alot of food for him to eat atm :(. Hoping to fix that soon.

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dumped 30 Chitons into my 400 with lots of green turf. They are doing a pretty good job mowing it down.

Stumpy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am new to the form but I have battled the hair alage before, now I'm fighting turf alage, my fish guy introduced me to Vibrant alage killer and this stuff works, takes sometime but it works cleared all the alage out the fish store in a month.
It is coral and fish safe might want to try it.

Back