Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser reactor with Tunze osmolater

Hitherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me advice on hooking up a TLF kalk reactor to my Tunze osmolator 3155? I am considering buying the reactor but am unsure if the Tunze pump is strong enough for the reactor to work properly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and pics of setups would be awesome!
Thank you!!

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works, kinda. Doesn't have enough oomph to stir the mixture so it kinda clumps in the bottom but I used it for a year or so like that

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Advice.

Don't do it!

I love using kalk and kalk reactors but I have overdosed so many times because I was adding kalk through my ATO. I would bag up a frag and take half a gallon of water out of the tank and then the ATO would add half a gallon of kalk at once. When your media reactor gets a slight leak that puts 3 gallons of water on the floor your ATO adds 3 gallons of Kalk.

There is just too much room for error with Kalk linked to the ATO. I would use a dedicated pump on a timer which limits the chance of making mistakes.

OP
OP
Hitherwood

Hitherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Advice.

Don't do it!

I love using kalk and kalk reactors but I have overdosed so many times because I was adding kalk through my ATO. I would bag up a frag and take half a gallon of water out of the tank and then the ATO would add half a gallon of kalk at once. When your media reactor gets a slight leak that puts 3 gallons of water on the floor your ATO adds 3 gallons of Kalk.

There is just too much room for error with Kalk linked to the ATO. I would use a dedicated pump on a timer which limits the chance of making mistakes.
Oh yes! I didn't think of that! Thank you!

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Advice.

Don't do it!

Interesting. What about using a peristaltic Dosing pump as the ATO pump with an ato controller (not a mechanical float)?
The addition would be very slow even if 1 to 3 gallons was removed at once.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs 50ml minute doser on a cheap digital timer that adjust by the second. Cheap and efficient as long and your evaporation rate allows enough to be dosed daily. Been dosing kalk this way for over a year on one tank. My pH is fine so I dose 24/7 vs only at night like some folks do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back