Two of my SPS corals have died in the last week! PLEASE HELP?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 mixed reef tank!! I feed my LPS, SPS AND SOFT CORALS - BRS Reef Chili and my Dr G's Photoplankton ON M-W-F ONLY and my sps and lps corals were doing great. Then I started adding REDSea Reef Energy A ( Carbs Nutrition) and Reef Energy B (Aminovit).. - 5MLS EVERY OTHER DAY....Ever since i started using these two products I have lost two SPS corals... Also, I dose 25mls of Alk, Cal and MAG every day through my Eshopps doser and that is it.. I do a weekly water change of 10 gallons every week. Would love to hear your thoughts on what to do. This is what one looks like yesterday until I took it out and tossed in the garbage.. Thank god this pcs below and one other pcs thats a birdnest sps that's dying on me.
Here are current parameters:

ALK:8.5 dKH
CAL: 400
MAG: 1250
Nitrate: 0
P04: .03
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.9

Lighting Schedule with two AI Hyrda TwentySix HD LEDS which are 18'' off the water and about 20'' from the coral:
I have them running from 3pm till 10pm on the following settings with a 1hr ramp up time and a 1hr ramp down..
UV: 100%
Violet: 100%
Royal Blue: 100%
Blue: 100%
Green: 20%
Red: 20%
Cool White: 60%

Setting from 10pm till 2:00pm to mimic the moon.
Violet: 0%
Royal Blue: 1%
Blue: 1%
Green: 0%
Red: 0%
White: 0%

TANK INFO:

120 Mixed Reef
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

This is what I have in the tank.
2 small Ocellaris Clownfish
Purple Stripe Dottyback
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Blue Caribbean Tang
2 Spotted Cardinalfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
2 Blue/Green Reef Chromis Chromis

Corals / LPS, SOFT AND SPS:
1. SPS - 2 - Galaxia Frags
2. SPS - Stylophora sp. ReefGen Milka Stylo Frg - that's not looking good / turing white.
3. SPS - Acropora / Millepora Green Millie
4. SPS - Acropora / Dark Green
5. LPS - Torch Coral / Green
6. LPS - Hammer Frag / Green
7 LPS - FropSpawn Frag
8. LPS- Favia Coral Green
9. 4 Orange Sponges
10. LPS - OctoSpawn
11. LPS - Frogspawn

IMG_2598.JPG

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running?
The parms look fine so the only thing that comes to mind would be the reef energy. How much are you using? If it stinks when you smell it, chances are that it might be bad.. It needs to be kept cool also..

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice system, and details. I looks like you are doing everything right. The only thing I can see is the nitrates are at O. Corals need some nitrates and phosphates in the system. Our you running any filter media to control the phosphates?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's hard to explain or figure out why SPS are dying.
You got a heck of a system.
No3 is on the low side but you already knew that.
The info I need is did the SPS went trough a dip qt for a few weeks?
The 25ml you dose is based on what consumption and what time do you dose this 25ml?
Direct flow can cause this problem too, SPS need random flow.
The damage I see on your SPS is IMO based on a un-balanced system.
If No3 is to low your corals starve and loose color, that's not the issue I see in the pic.
You have a stress damage by maybe to much swings from your parameters.
That said it can be a pest as well, common we all know is the AEFW.
Not saying you have any but it's worth a try to inspect for eggs and dip if you can find some AEFW as they are very hard to see on the acro it self.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the birdsnest is the clue. While they are easier to keep they are also the first ones to die if KH spikes. For your nutrient level I would like to see KH around 7 (natural levels) rather than elevated. Remember, when KH spikes some corals show it right away while most acros will show it weeks later.

Did you have a KH spike in the last month?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took me so long to respond! My tank has been up and running for over 9 years and very well established. I am running BRS GFO High Capacity and I can bet that could one of the reasons why my P04 is so low.
I getting ready to test everything right now, Alk, Cal, MAG, temp, salinity and Nitrates and then i will advise.. No spikes in Alk, it'sw been at 8.5dKH since I have been running a doser. Do you think I need to drop it to 7? and leave my CAL @ 400ppm? Here is a current pix of my tank by the way!! Also, I dose in the early am, starting off with my Alk @ 7am 25ml , CAL @ 9AM 25ml, MAG @11:00am 25ml ones a day. As far as dipping my corals I dip everything before it hits the display.. No qt which I know i NEED TO START! I just do the hour drip system.

AquaScape new.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re dipped my Acropora Milliepora and I found this worm in my wash bucket while dipping. Would some be so kind and ID this guy?

IMG_2612.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here is a short video that I just made to let you see this worm a little better that came out of my Acropora / Milliepora!

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been at this longer than me, I am totally unfamiliar with older tanks and their issues. If it's not measurable then it's just a guess but the symptoms sure seem like an Alk spike. Did you just switch to BRS HC GFO? Rapidly dropping PO4 can be almost as bad as a KH spike, unfortunately I've done that as well.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always ran HC GFO from BRS AND i ONLY use a very little bit, like 200mls worth. I just tested my Alk and Salinity and my Alk is up to 7.5 dKH & my salinity is currently 1.022, so there is a been a very slight change from the last test..Please advise someone on the worm?

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Also, here is a short video that I just made to let you see this worm a little better that came out of my Acropora / Milliepora!

Tell you the truth, i dont know what these things are. But everytime an acro has a hard time in my tank, these worms come out in a dip

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Magnesium. most do not dose it daily. Usually only dose after a full round of Ca and Alk. just a thought.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have always ran HC GFO from BRS AND i ONLY use a very little bit, like 200mls worth. I just test my Alk and Salinity and my Alk is up to 9 dKH & my salinity is currently 1.022, so there is a been a very slight change..
Is that acro in the photo above peeling? Is it stn? Or is it still skin just receding?

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the small amount you are dosing compared to your water volume I don't think your daily dose is causing a significant swing, but if you resolve this issue and move forward it will eventually become important to break that up throughout the day to maintain greater stability. Being good practice, and since you already have dosers, it might be good to rule that out be spreading out the dose now.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my Alk on my Hanna Checker instead my Elso test kit, and now I am getting 7.5dKH AND with the Elos Alk test I was getting 8.5.. So my alk the entire time has been right around the 7.5 range. Salinity is at 1.022 with a refractometer which is still a bit low.... I dose MAG, CAL AND ALK everyday.. 25mls of each but I am going to back off to the 15mls on all three MAG,ALK, AND CAL...

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your video I see what looks like two small AEFW worms that are oval and stuck to the bottom of your container. If you blow them harder they will come off and curl up.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your video I see what looks like two small AEFW worms that are oval and stuck to the bottom of your container. If you blow them harder they will come off and curl up.

Yep! That's what they were doing when I was using my turkey baster... What is your recommendation, should i dip my 4 or 5 SPS corals again and a nice water change?

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dip and wait a week and dip again. I would save what you can by cutting what's still alive of SPS. Keep close eye if possible qt SPS so it's easy to get to and check. Important that there no eggs around.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back