Two part and kalk help

jake2045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been using kalkwasser in my top water ( 5 tsp to 5 gallons fresh RO/DI ) and can not keep my alk above 7.5 with out correcting with baked baking soda. So if I wanted to mix up a solution that I could dosing with a dosing pump what should I mix in a one gallon jug and how much would I dose in ml ? I loose about .5 dKh every 7-8 days.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have been using kalkwasser in my top water ( 5 tsp to 5 gallons fresh RO/DI ) and can not keep my alk above 7.5 with out correcting with baked baking soda. So if I wanted to mix up a solution that I could dosing with a dosing pump what should I mix in a one gallon jug and how much would I dose in ml ? I loose about .5 dKh every 7-8 days.

FWIW, you cna double the amount of calcium hydroxide in tha tlimewater, and that might solve your probnlem.

But for additive dosing, I'd use my DIY recipe, and the calculator below:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after mixing your recipe, Is it meant to be added slowly? Over a 24 hour period for example?

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often dosing is needed depends on how much alk drops in a day. If it is more than 1 dKH per day, I'd dose daily, or even more often if demand is well above that.
In your dosing instructions, are they always meant to raise my numbers, or maintain them? Would it be best to get my numbers where I want them, then lower the dose to just maintain them?

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dowflake is proving difficult to find. I do however have calcium chrloride on hand from BRS. How does the amount required differ from Dow flake?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your dosing instructions, are they always meant to raise my numbers, or maintain them? Would it be best to get my numbers where I want them, then lower the dose to just maintain them?

My instructions are just rough guides to a starting dose to maintain levels. You need to make adjustments up or down to match your tank's needs.

If something is significantly low (particularly calcium or magnesium), you need to boost those separate from the two part additions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dowflake is proving difficult to find. I do however have calcium chrloride on hand from BRS. How does the amount required differ from Dow flake?

Same. :)

I'd currently use BRS over Dowflake. It's bee a long time since I tested Dowflake.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.6%
Back