Two part epoxy....

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some recommendations for a two part epoxy to glue corals underwater. So.... what two part epoxy do you use? brand name and specifics please........

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use any superglue you can find at the dollar store. You can push the glue out underwater if needed. Little known fact is that superglue uses water to speed the drying. I have heard of 2 part epoxy resins killing corals so I would not use them.

Good Luck in your searches

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamend putty, Home Depot Paint Section, $3/tube.

Same 2 part putty that you can buy from online sources for triple the price, only downsize is it dries white.

You can see it here on the base, over time algae buildup covers the white.

TECPinkBirdsnest.jpg

I have heard of 2 part epoxy resins killing corals so I would not use them.

Not true at all.

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Aquamend Putty...how long does it take to dry? Can it be applied underwater?

It's blue with a white center. You pull off a chunk (Guessing how much you will need) wet your fingers with tank water and knead the putty until it's all white. Then place it underwater, I give it a couple minutes to harden then set the frag. Turning off your pumps to help the frag get secured is a good idea.

That's it

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Ive gotta put it in between 2 rocks though, can I put it on the individual plug and then wedge it in? Im guessing at first its very liquidy, then it becomes playdoh consistency?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find it, grab it. None of the HD's in this area or apparently the Nashville area are stocking it any more. It works okay, but I usually end up coupling it with super glue gel. Use Aquamend to form to the rocks (molds to boths ends of what you are attaching) and add super glue gel to both sides of the newly molded epoxy if it doesn't stick initially. Smear the edges into the rock for better results.

I recently got some two part that mentinoed only epoxy resin from HD. It was for plujmbing repairs. I've used it to seal a baffle in a livestock tub. It's only been in there for a week or so, so not long enough to tell if there will be issues.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 63 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.8%

Back