Tyree pink watermelon chalice...

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard of a coral are they to grow? I saw one at my LFS for 119 and it was really nice, but wondering how they are to grow. I dont want to invest that much money on something that will not do well in my tank...

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can grow it in my biocube?? It has one 50/50 PC light and two panorama pro blue LED modules... My water may not be that dirty as my xenia arent doing too well... I just started adding amino supplements so hopefully they come back strong...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.... I did a experiment with a biocube and used the stock lighting... Not only did I revive some dying chalices they flourished!!!! As for your Xenia I would check your salinity level that's about the only time there not happy.... It's prolly to low from my exp.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is too low how would I go about raising it? could I take some tank water out and add salt and let it dissolve for a couple hours then add it back? I usually buy saltwater from my LFS but have some Instant ocean salt I use for my brackish tank...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you need to check it with a hydrometer "preferred" or a Refractometer which I have zero luck with... See if it's low as that is only my exp. it could be okay.... If its to low mix salt with your top off water and raise it slowly over a couple days to reduce shock... Hth

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely helped... Thanks... I am actually going to buy a refractometer tomorrow as my hydrometer keeps getting stuck and I have to shake it out for the arrow to move. So when I checked yesterday it said it was low, but I am not sure if it is working properly because of the problem I said before...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like hydrometers better myself... A good rinse after checking your salinity keeps them working great... I know most people will say there off but off or not there consitant.. So if it's off a tad it will always be off by .01 or what ever it is... Consistincy pays off..;)

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these, its pretty small and seens to be a very slow grower compared to my other chalices.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my watermelon grows fast I got a small frag (2 eyes) about 5 months ago. I have made 1, 3 eye frag and 2, 2 eye frags all about 1" (1 frag for me,1 frag to grow out and one frag to sell)

I have noticed they like med-low light

I also use a hydrometer but check it with my refractometer and make a mark at the true salinity on the hydrometer

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the low light and flow. As for dirty water I'm not sure on that. I think that the chalice will do fine in a clean environment as well.

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a very slow grower compared to my other chalices.

You ain't lying about that! SUPER slow grower in my case as well. I have chalices that have grown 10x their original size and got them after this one and it's still barely growing anything!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ain't lying about that! SUPER slow grower in my case as well. I have chalices that have grown 10x their original size and got them after this one and it's still barely growing anything!
Need to move it around and find its happy place... Set it on a rock near the bottom at a angle they grow better that way ime.... Some don't like being flat...

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bit the bullet and bought one :)

DSC_0031.jpg

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickup on that Tyree Pink Watermelon. I love the green reim and pink base. Once it finally engulfes that frag disc, it will look even more amazing.

Have fun growing it.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! A new eye has been forming on the outer rim for a while now.. Hopefully it will be fully formed when I get back from vaca... I have a tyree bubble gum monster that seems to be growing faster so hopefully the watermelon will catch up :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back