Uk Plywood build pond armour???

ShaneHockley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to build a Plywood aquarium like all the youtube videos, most are USA and they use pond armour / sheild for a sealant. What is the UK equivalent?

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think G4 pond sealer is our equivalent, but there are many alternatives nowadays:

Costswold koi pond paints

I did a large plywood tank years ago and found it easy enough to fiberglass the inside.......pre digital camera so I can't share any photos I'm afraid.

OP
OP
S

ShaneHockley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, so you just fibreglased without a sealer on top? Does that work? I thought you just had a fibreglass the seems?

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used epoxy resin with my fiberglass and then layers of tissue with a blue'ish colour for my final layers. It was in my teen years and at the time that was my best option as there were not many options on this side of the pond that were definitely reef safe.

I think a few years back I considered making another and using a parlour paint as it comes in lots of colours, but a house move kicked that idea into the long grass.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you have access to, but if you go fiberglass route you can use basic PE resin to keep cost down. Then smooth it out with filler before gel-coat. For the gel-coat I would stick to a name brand. I have had less than stellar results with some of the value brands.

Back