Ultimate in Sump Custom Roller

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever wondered why none of the roller mat companies built of the previous build your own sump methodology?

Well I did. I used to build sumps from 20-125g tanks and add baffles etc to make them cheaper and easier for each setup I had and I was frustrated that no better option existed to integrate a roller mat aside from drop in sock replacements and the stand alone like the one Red Sea made.

I had a platinum trigger sump that used a roller mat and I couldn’t use that on my 600g system. So I used a Red Sea 1200. Which was too small and took up a lot of space. Not to mention going through 6ft a day.

I decided I would try and build one since trigger made a roller mat upgrade kit for their sump. But I would build a custom baffle that would utilize it. The new one has connections so you can monitor the roller from an apex.

The project began. And I used PVC to build the custom box to add to a PVC baffle I had in my 125g sump. But the design can be customized to any sump design easily.

I will upgrade the top piece in the future for a guide on the dirty roller side to keep it closer to the mesh. The mesh was purchased from Amazon for car grills. Since it is a intercell pattern each part of the roller gets used. I used PVC house trim to add support to the seams. 1/4” drill bits for holes to use the screws to secure trigger pieces to the pvc. I used a previous frag rack since I had that laying around, hence all the holes in the grid support pieces.

Given the trigger roller mat is 50% more than the Red Sea mat and costs the same. I’ll be saving there. And the roller kit is $380. The other items are under $50. So total setup is cheaper than most for a 10” roller.

IMG_4558.jpeg
IMG_4543.jpeg
IMG_4545.jpeg
IMG_4546.jpeg
IMG_4547.jpeg
IMG_4548.jpeg
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg
IMG_4551.jpeg
IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4553.jpeg
IMG_4554.jpeg
IMG_4556.jpeg
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4566.jpeg
IMG_4569.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Runs great. Been running for 2 weeks. Considering I added it to an existing system made it a little less optimal design but would be better for a new build sump.

I would add a gate valve bypass since rollers tend to make water to clean. Mine has enough leakage I didn’t need it and my recirculating skimmer is run to bypass it.

I did phosphate and nitrate.

Overall very happy with it. Haven’t hooked it up to APEX yet.
IMG_4570.jpeg

This is awesome!! How is it working

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back