Umm Red?

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank became a graveyard the other day so i emptied out all the water and clean the tank of algae and put new and clean water with bacteria apparently it needed it so im still super concerned since there is all this red looking gunk all on the rocks and sand is that bad?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is an epiphyte similar to cyano and is caused or encouraged by a number of reasons including:
  • Available nutrients - Especially phosphates and iron in this case.
  • Low flow/Dead Zone - this stuff grows in low flow areas.
  • Warmer Water - It tends to grow faster in warmer water than in cooler water.
  • Low Alkalinity- While not a cause, higher alkalinity tends to discourage its' growth.
  • Possible "contaminated" water source like tap water, that has nutrients fueling the outbreak (old RO cartridges.)
Lower white light intensity, adding a pouch of chemipure elite will help. Also, increase water changes to 30% with a high quality water source, such as distilled or RO/DI water. Be aggressive about removing any rotting organics in your tank that may be contributing to its growth.

OP
OP
S

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is
It is an epiphyte similar to cyano and is caused or encouraged by a number of reasons including:
  • Available nutrients - Especially phosphates and iron in this case.
  • Low flow/Dead Zone - this stuff grows in low flow areas.
  • Warmer Water - It tends to grow faster in warmer water than in cooler water.
  • Low Alkalinity- While not a cause, higher alkalinity tends to discourage its' growth.
  • Possible "contaminated" water source like tap water, that has nutrients fueling the outbreak (old RO cartridges.)
Lower white light intensity, adding a pouch of chemipure elite will help. Also, increase water changes to 30% with a high quality water source, such as distilled or RO/DI water. Be aggressive about removing any rotting organics in your tank that may be contributing to its growth.
that bad too have it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back