Unconventional reef keeping methods

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some people on here that do some crazy things with their tanks, or do something that goes against what the vast majority of people do, and it works for them. I am wondering what are some things you do with your tank that other people probably don't do.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rainwater for my top off. It’s probably a bit low in pH and likely has a bit of bird droppings in it but I haven’t noticed any ill effects with keeping softies and LPS over the years.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is easy to predict cycle completion dates using only a general description of the approach. testing isn't needed. this is how they align reef tank conventions to all start on the same date; buyers use different cycling rules than sellers use. sellers get instant skip cycles, or predetermined start dates for dry start systems so that they're not waiting out in the parking lot 30-60 days for cycle completion, like the buyers are trained to do.

giving the buyers the seller's information is a new thing in reefing, that used to be unspoken info. if buyers think they have to buy repeat products to close out a cycle, plus test kits, that helps the sellers

showing buyers how to count # of days to cycle closure removes wasted $ given to sellers in the hobby, so it's good science.

we can use # of days wait as the count to cycle completion (on what date does ammonia drop on a common cycling chart? day 10-12 on them all) vs testing for parameters.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see some people on here that do some crazy things with their tanks, or do something that goes against what the vast majority of people do, and it works for them. I am wondering what are some things you do with your tank that other people probably don't do.
much less testing than 'normal'. No extra coral feedings. The issue often ends up that the reason so many differing protocols can be used in reefing is that eventually only the inhabitants that can survive in that one tank will survive - others will be lost. Thus each individual tank will probably have great variance in bioload, N/P, etc

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an extra channel on my dosing pump to auto top off. Probably should change that at some point, but the temporary plan became permanent when it worked real well. I just make sure to “under dose” so as not to overflow.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rainwater for my top off. It’s probably a bit low in pH and likely has a bit of bird droppings in it but I haven’t noticed any ill effects with keeping softies and LPS over the years.
Interesting! Never heard of that before

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back