Undetectable nitrate and algae growing… help

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 2 months old and I have been doing the ole trusty 10% weekly WC/water testing. I was having g the usual new tank stuff, cloudy water, diatoms, and then all cleared up followed by some green algae on all surfaces exposed to light, underside of rocks is pearly white, and my nitrates fell off the map. I’ve been trying to bring them up with no such luck and the green algae is seems as though it’s getting thicker which to me indicates high nutrients, but still no nitrate. I’m going to turn lights off until Monday, tank is in a room that does receive natural light, is a two day no light period a good try?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks turning green is supposed to happen. Can you please post some white light pics and describe your current CuC and tank soze?

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks turning green is supposed to happen. Can you please post some white light pics and describe your current CuC and tank soze?
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
Here she is under whites. Tanks is 40g and clean up crew consist of the normal snails, turbo, astrea, margarita plus a blenny and baby convict tang

Attachments

• IMG_5179.jpeg
    IMG_5179.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also under the whites just noticed I have quite a few pineapple sponges growing

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not bad at all, you should think you’re self lucky.

If you can grow coral you can and will grow algae, the key is not just keeping your nutrients down which is important but as said you will grow algae the key is having stuff that eats it, fish if you tank in big or snails and other clean up crew.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
Here she is under whites. Tanks is 40g and clean up crew consist of the normal snails, turbo, astrea, margarita plus a blenny and baby convict tang
I'd be adding a good dose of live copepods to take up residence in the rubble at the bottom, it's likely to attract a lot of detritus and they may help, maybe. The green stuff on the rocks looks normal.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not bad at all, you should think you’re self lucky.

If you can grow coral you can and will grow algae, the key is not just keeping your nutrients down which is important but as said you will grow algae the key is having stuff that eats it, fish if you tank in big or snails and other clean up crew.
Looks like off to a great start.
That looks like a typical start up. I would do nothing. Trying to prevent / remove what your seeing now will just interrupt the whole process and cause headaches down the road.
Sweet perfect, realized shortly after posting maybe I was over reacting a bit as I love watching the tank progress and go through its stages. I’ll just return to my normally scheduled program and let it roll, thanks everyone

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be adding a good dose of live copepods to take up residence in the rubble at the bottom, it's likely to attract a lot of detritus and they may help, maybe. The green stuff on the rocks looks normal.
Yes this has been on my mind as well.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I over reacted about the green algae in the tank but now I have what I’m thinking may be Dino’s. It’s really stringy and causing my Zoas and Acans to close up. I’ll try and snag some pics

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 2 months old and I have been doing the ole trusty 10% weekly WC/water testing. I was having g the usual new tank stuff, cloudy water, diatoms, and then all cleared up followed by some green algae on all surfaces exposed to light, underside of rocks is pearly white, and my nitrates fell off the map. I’ve been trying to bring them up with no such luck and the green algae is seems as though it’s getting thicker which to me indicates high nutrients, but still no nitrate. I’m going to turn lights off until Monday, tank is in a room that does receive natural light, is a two day no light period a good try?

Water changes are to be faithful, weekly, 20% of the total water volume in the system.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank presents as a young tank. Based on the pictures, you seem to be on track.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank presents as a young tank. Based on the pictures, you seem to be on track.
Thanks! Yes the tank is new, I was doing 10% weekly but skipped the last as my nutrients are low despite a decent bioload and feeding. Now I’m having some sorts of algae through out the substrate and attaching to some corals causing them to close. Just ordered a microscope to hopefully dial in on what it is and get it gone

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes the tank is new, I was doing 10% weekly but skipped the last as my nutrients are low despite a decent bioload and feeding. Now I’m having some sorts of algae through out the substrate and attaching to some corals causing them to close. Just ordered a microscope to hopefully dial in on what it is and get it gone

What you are seeing is typical of a new tank. Let nature take its course in your tank and this will eventually get better.

In the mean time, manual removal prior to water changes are a good idea as any free-floating debris will be siphoned out of the tank.

A good cleanup crew will be helpful too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
This is film algae and while does occur can also stem from lengthy period of white lighting, Bright white intensity which should be reduced slightly and having your tank at or near a window

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5187.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg
IMG_5189.jpeg
Here was the real issue. At the time of the original post this stuff was a non issue but over the past couple of days has progressed rapidly, and loves getting all over my Zoas causing them to close up. I have a microscope coming tomorrow so I will take a look and see but I’m thinking a type of Dino. Nitrate and phos are zero, going to try siphoning out tonight and see if manual removal makes a dent in it. I know the pics aren’t great, it’s a brown stringy algae

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back