Undulated Moray and Miniatus Grouper Pairing

harrisgunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 reef tank with 35 gallon sump with an undulated moray, miniatus grouper, and picasso triggerfish. My cleanup crew consists of a handful of turbo snails (was around 20 now much less because of the triggerfish) and a horshoe crab and chocolate starfish. I have had much luck with many different lps and especially my gsp is taking off but hardly any luck on most sps and soft corals. I am currently vodka dosing 3.6ml per day and feeding a mixture of clams, LRS chunky, krill, silversides, and whole shrimp. Attached is a video of my eel and grouper in the same hole which they seem to have a hunting relationship together which I have read about can happen in the wild. The eel is currently about 1.5ft and the grouper close to 8in. I currently have a decent GHA outbreak and looking for advice on what I can introduce to eat it. I am thinking about a short spine urchin. Also how much should I feed the undulated moray? I have read many sources saying twice weekly large meals but I found he likes just 2 silversides every other day or a whole shrimp.

P.S.
sorry for the quality of video, under blues after 8pm is about the only time I can get a decent video of the eel and grouper together without the grouper darting into an unseen spot. Also the LFS I had bought my eel from claimed he was a fimbriated yellow head but I later researched and I believe he is an undulated.

Attachments

• filtered-F10C145E-3DDE-48A8-BC14-3EE533FF1DDA.mp4
    3 MB
OP
OP
H

harrisgunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 reef tank with 35 gallon sump with an undulated moray, miniatus grouper, and picasso triggerfish. My cleanup crew consists of a handful of turbo snails (was around 20 now much less because of the triggerfish) and a horshoe crab and chocolate starfish. I have had much luck with many different lps and especially my gsp is taking off but hardly any luck on most sps and soft corals. I am currently vodka dosing 3.6ml per day and feeding a mixture of clams, LRS chunky, krill, silversides, and whole shrimp. Attached is a video of my eel and grouper in the same hole which they seem to have a hunting relationship together which I have read about can happen in the wild. The eel is currently about 1.5ft and the grouper close to 8in. I currently have a decent GHA outbreak and looking for advice on what I can introduce to eat it. I am thinking about a short spine urchin. Also how much should I feed the undulated moray? I have read many sources saying twice weekly large meals but I found he likes just 2 silversides every other day or a whole shrimp.

P.S.
sorry for the quality of video, under blues after 8pm is about the only time I can get a decent video of the eel and grouper together without the grouper darting into an unseen spot. Also the LFS I had bought my eel from claimed he was a fimbriated yellow head but I later researched and I believe he is an undulated.
If the video does not work here are some better images
IMG_0834.png

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 31

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back