Unequal dosing of alk and cal.

ChrisIC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a bit of advice on dosing. For years my dosing anounts between alk and cal have been different but i know they should technically be dosed equally, it just never works out that way in my tank. I was advised here to start dosing them equally and that they would balance out over time...I'm just scared of having my alkalinity go through the roof because i dose three times less alk than Calcium at the moment. I'm currently using ATI essentials pro. Anyway, I'm not working for the next week so I figured now is a good time to give it a try because I'll be able to monitor it more closely. How should I go about it though, should I start dosing equally immediately or should I increase the alk dosing over a few days to match the Calcium dose? Not sure about it. My alk is currently 8.6, Cal. 454 and Mag. 1400.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar situation. I dose kalk and supplement with 2 part. I have to dose twice as much calcium as alk for my 2 part solutions to maintain my levels (8.5 dkh alk and 410 ppm cal).

Dose what you need to maintain your desired levels and don't worry about dosing equally. Its not uncommon for this to happen.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Randy recipe for Dow Flake and Soda ash. I've found I need almost double the CA that I do alk. It's been that way in both tanks and has been fine for years! I wouldn't worry at all as long as you are testing levels regularly. I test once a week and my numbers hardly change unless I miss a day of dosing (I dose manually).

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were literally talking about this yesterday lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll copy my post from there to here:

1. Not all two parts are designed for 1:1 dosing. Red Sea does not try, for example.

2. At least one two part that claims to be for 1:1 dosing is improperly designed to do that. Seachem Reef Fusion.

3. Corals and coralline algae deposit calcium carbonate which has a close to fixed alk to calcium ratio (2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm calcium). If this process dominates then equal parts dosing works very well when using an appropriate product.

4. Water changes with new salt water not matching the tank in alk or calcium can skew the demand.

5. Some minor processes add or remove alkalinity. Most of these relate to nitrate rising, falling, being dosed, or use of a sulfur denitrator.

6. Top off with tap water can add alk or calcium, or both.

7. The smaller #3 is, the more likely are numbers 4-6 to be significant, and at very low calcification rates, they can dominate with very off ratios of alk to calcium demand.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll copy my post from there to here:

1. Not all two parts are designed for 1:1 dosing. Red Sea does not try, for example.

2. At least one two part that claims to be for 1:1 dosing is improperly designed to do that. Seachem Reef Fusion.

3. Corals and coralline algae deposit calcium carbonate which has a close to fixed alk to calcium ratio (2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm calcium). If this process dominates then equal parts dosing works very well when using an appropriate product.

4. Water changes with new salt water not matching the tank in alk or calcium can skew the demand.

5. Some minor processes add or remove alkalinity. Most of these relate to nitrate rising, falling, being dosed, or use of a sulfur denitrator.

6. Top off with tap water can add alk or calcium, or both.

7. The smaller #3 is, the more likely are numbers 4-6 to be significant, and at very low calcification rates, they can dominate with very off ratios of alk to calcium demand.
BTW, yhank you for the explanation, it's quite helpful

OP
OP
ChrisIC

ChrisIC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was worried that if I wasn't dosing equally that some trace elements in the alk solution would be underdosed, or vice versa with the Cal solution

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back