Uneven Stand Top

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tank stand 3'x 2' x 2' - the stand top is flat, no decorating trim.
Tank is a rimless tank - about 70Gallon
The top is a bit uneven, - I think the board that I used for the top was not even.
I did bought the self-leveling mat from Innovative Marine- https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-leveling-adhesive-rubber-mat-innovative-marine.html
Should I use Rigid Pink Foam Board Insulation instead of this type of mat?
……..
Second question ? Anyone have a large tank on top of Carpet.
As my understanding, wood floor under the carpet sometime is not level. What material can we use to level it?
Do I need any floor support? Tank: 132lbs + 600lbs(water) + 70lbs rock + 150lbs(sump)=> around 950lbs

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how uneven the top of the stand is, the foam pad you got SHOULD do the trick, but it kind of depends.
As for leveling the tank, wood shims available from most home improvement stores will make an easy job of leveling the stand.
Lastly, depending on whether your tank is sitting g on a raised foundation, concrete slab, or something else, would decide if you needed reinforcement.
Honestly, unless the floor is very undersupported, I doubt you would need reinforcement.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some pics

Stand Build.jpg

Stand Build2.jpg

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how uneven the top of the stand is, the foam pad you got SHOULD do the trick, but it kind of depends.
As for leveling the tank, wood shims available from most home improvement stores will make an easy job of leveling the stand.
Lastly, depending on whether your tank is sitting g on a raised foundation, concrete slab, or something else, would decide if you needed reinforcement.
Honestly, unless the floor is very undersupported, I doubt you would need reinforcement.
So it is about 1/16" lower in one of the corner.
I will check on the wood shim
I plan to put my tanks against bearing-wall so I will have good supporting beams

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a professional wood worker, I can say unequivocally, you will hold your tank, and probably 3-5 others with that stand.
Being against a bearing wall should also take care of the support below.
As for the 1/16", you have a couple options. Shim from below, sand/cut from the top, or.. add a piece of plywood to the top of the stand for full support and shim as necessary to make sure the top is dead flat.
I would still recommend using the mat from BRS

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand, ditto nrdwater.
I like both composite and wood shims, I'm an old school carpenter so I slightly prefer the long cedar shims, but since you are on carpet I'd probably go w/ composite, they snap clean if you snap up briskly w/ a putty knife, no razor scoring needed.
Also agree BRS foam mat

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a professional wood worker, I can say unequivocally, you will hold your tank, and probably 3-5 others with that stand.
Being against a bearing wall should also take care of the support below.
As for the 1/16", you have a couple options. Shim from below, sand/cut from the top, or.. add a piece of plywood to the top of the stand for full support and shim as necessary to make sure the top is dead flat.
I would still recommend using the mat from BRS
so If I choose to put a new Flat top surface what would you recommend ?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so If I choose to put a new Flat top surface what would you recommend ?

A piece of 1/2" or better yet, 3/4" cabinet grade plywood would work nicely. Definitely stay away from things like MDF, CDX or OSB.
all of those types of plywood have their place, just not below our tanks...

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to get the tank and stand in place, fill it with water and let the carpet settle for a week or two.

I just wouldn't want to shim the stand or tank, then get it in place and have it off because of the carpet flattening out.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there a birch ply subtop/finished top on it already?
Is it glued and screwed down?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to get the tank and stand in place, fill it with water and let the carpet settle for a week or two

I just wouldn't want to shim the stand or tank, then get it in place and have it off because of the carpet flattening out.

The weight of tank w/ water should compress all that out on fill up, but I do usually advice checking it as you fill, that is when you would see if there are any deviations under carpet that would call for adjustment w/ shims

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of 1/2" or better yet, 3/4" cabinet grade plywood would work nicely. Definitely stay away from things like MDF, CDX or OSB.
all of those types of plywood have their place, just not below our tanks...
So can I just put a piece directly on top? do I have to fill the gap first, then put the plywood on top? If so, what can I use to fill that gap?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I just put a piece directly on top? do I have to fill the gap first, then put the plywood on top? If so, what can I use to fill that gap?
I would put the plywood directly on top, and use the wooden shims to fill whatever gap between the stand and the plywood top. By the time you get everything secured, the plywood should be dead flat.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For asthetics, you can also source some "pre glued" Edgebanding from a lumber yard. Probably not available from the big box stores, but a specialty yard that deals with cabinet makers and the like should have many species available. The Edgebanding is applied with an household iron to the exposed edges of the plywood for that finished look.
If you have trouble finding pre glued Edgebanding, try calling a local cabinet maker. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. And with some gentle prodding, and probably a few bucks, they may even Edgeband the plywood for you.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shims of some sort. I don't care for wood shims around a tank, on carpet...

Did you know that the 'standard' method of leveling a pool table is to use playing cards? Works great.

My steel frame stand has two stacks of 11 playing cards under one corner. Works as good on my tank as it does on a pool table :)

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the plywood directly on top, and use the wooden shims to fill whatever gap between the stand and the plywood top. By the time you get everything secured, the plywood should be dead flat.
Can I fill up those area with wood filler? And then set the 3/4 plywood on top

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back