OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's project for the buildout is constructing the overflow box. We've decided to go with a peninsula style false wall to conceal all drain/return plumbing. The false wall will include an integrated DIY wave box. Pictures to follow

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow cutout
IMG_7202.JPG

A few pictures showing the mortising for the walls of the wavebox
IMG_7204.JPG
IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7206.JPG
IMG_7209.JPG

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see the elusive Bagfish in its natural habitat. Just look at that mesmerizing sway in its translucent tissue.

All kidding aside, the box is very effective in terms of creating a solid wave motion. Powered by a WP-25, total cost came in under $100. Haven't completely decided on whether or not to run a sump. We could always make this into a large AIO tank. What do you guys think? I could start another poll

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constructed the skeleton for the aquascape out of 3/4 PVC. It will be secured to the false wall using bulkheads with horizontal bracing on the backside to increase lateral stability. The skeleton will also serve as a closed loop for additional circulation. The intake will be at the lower tee fitting with the outlet at the end of the long support pipe.
IMG_7239.JPG
IMG_7240.JPG

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upper tee fitting was reemed out so that the longer piece of 3/4 pipe could be passed through it. This keeps the span of pipe coming from the lower bulkhead isolated from the upper. This allows for the lower bulkhead to serve as an intlet and the upper bulkhead to serve as an outlet. The closed loop pump will be placed in the main tank behind the overflow wall.
IMG_7236.JPG

This allows for the lower bulkhead to serve as an intlet and the upper bulkhead to serve as an outlet. The closed loop pump will be placed in the main tank behind the overflow wall.
IMG_7238.JPG

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, sorry we've been a little busy this week. The scape is coming together quite nicely and should be finished up by tomorrow. The plan is to keep the rock work narrow and let tabling acros and plating montis make up the bulk of the outward structure with some miscellaneous branching/bushy varieties on top.
IMG_7297.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG
Showing the intake for the closed loop
IMG_7303.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG
IMG_7312.JPG
IMG_7323.JPG
IMG_7532.JPG
IMG_7535.JPG
IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock structure will be secured to the false wall/overflow using 3/4 inch bulkheads. This allows for the rock to be removed or replaced in the event of moving the tank while also allowing for the PVC 'skeleton' to serve as plumbing for a closed loop.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock structure is finally completed. The rock varies between 6-8 inches wide at the top. The coral scape will make up the majority of the space available in the tank. The closed loop plumbing is adequately concealed. The top of the insert will sit approximately 7 inches below the water surface allowing for light to easily reach the SPS that will be placed on the top and sides of the rock. Diamond bit arrives on Monday for drilling the holes for two 1.5" bulkheads for the drain lines.
IMG_7576.JPG
IMG_7570.JPG
IMG_7573.JPG
IMG_7577.JPG
IMG_7578.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up is securing the false wall to the tank. The top edges will be reinforced with glass strips siliconed to the top edge behind the plastic trim to keep the weight of the rock from pulling the top of the overflow wall forward. The bottom of the wall will be reinforced on the backside by another piece of the PVC sheet running parallel to the bottom of the tank to keep the bottom of the wall from pushing out.

OP
OP
Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good brother, everything's coming along nicely. How's that sheet pvc to work with?
Not bad at all. It cuts and routes very nicely and glues with regular PVC cement. My only gripe is that the shavings pick up a static charge from the friction of the blades when cutting which causes them to stick to everything.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back