Unknown larvae in my tank?

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months back, I noticed some larvae in my aquarium. I had two clownfish and some blue-legged hermit crabs in the tank at that time along with a snail. The larvae did not resemble clownfish larvae and had two black eyes and a tail (I know for a fact that they weren't copepods). They were very small and transparent, and there were many of them. Unfortunately, they ended up becoming food for my clowns. They also had a curled tail kind of like a shrimp but I never had a shrimp before.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the only fish you had were clowns, then they were likely clown fry. fry look very unlike clownfish until they are a few weeks old.
1706200560097.png
1706200570929.png

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the only fish you had were clowns, then they were likely clown fry. fry look very unlike clownfish until they are a few weeks old.
1706200560097.png
1706200570929.png
I hope not, because I would have loved to raise them. My LFS said that they were too young to breed. But these fry had a curled tail and the eyes weren't big like the clownfish fry.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1706200560097.png
1706200570929.png
I hope not, because I would have loved to raise them. My LFS said that they were too young to breed. But these fry had a curled tail and the eyes weren't big like the clownfish fry.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like shrimp or like @ISpeakForTheSeas said maybe hermits. I think I sent you a good video series for clown breeding, but let me know if you missed it and I can send again because it covers everything you need to know in detail

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like shrimp or like @ISpeakForTheSeas said maybe hermits. I think I sent you a good video series for clown breeding, but let me know if you missed it and I can send again because it covers everything you need to know in detail
Yeah I didn't get it, it would be great if you could send it again!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't get it, it would be great if you could send it again!

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bunch of crustaceans kind of look similar. So hermit crabs, gorilla crabs if you have an true live rock, peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp. I've had shrimp and crabs release into my tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They looked exactly like this. Any tips on breeding them again?
Another post reminded me of this - assuming the conditions are right, to my knowledge, they should breed pretty much any time one of the females molts.

For rearing tips/info:
This quote is my second post from the thread above:
For the brine shrimp and phyto - culturing your own is ideal (it gives you a stable, constant supply that doesn't break the bank), but that may feel too overwhelming at the moment in addition to trying to rear hermit larvae, and you can make do with buying as needed (the phyto is much harder to come by in a pinch than the brine shrimp for these purposes).

If you don't want to try culturing them, then you can buy a thing of brine shrimp eggs and just add enough per day to the tank to feed each hermit larva when the brine shrimp eggs hatch (honestly, you probably wouldn't even need 2 oz for a single batch of hermit larvae if you have a decent hatch rate).

[Ideally, you'd hatch the eggs out of the tank, remove the shells, and add just the nauplii, which you can do in a number of ways (with a hatchery, a net/sieve, or by decapsulating the eggs before adding them), but that is an extra step which I would honestly ignore if it makes the attempt feel more daunting at the moment. You can always worry about this with future attempts.]

I would however, recommend culturing your own phyto regardless of if you want to culture the brine shrimp. Isochrysis would be ideal, but it's notoriously difficult to culture. So, instead, you may want to go with something like Tetraselmis, which should be much easier to culture. If you have somewhere that stays warm and gets plenty of sunlight, you wouldn't need a light for the phyto culture; if you don't have somewhere like that for it, then you would need a light (you can absolutely get a cheap light for this, you definitely do not need a fancy reef light).

For the eggs:
This place also sells stuff like hatcheries, nets/sieves, etc.

For the phyto:

(Amazon links often don't work on here anymore, so if this link doesn't work, it's Mercer of Montana 16 oz Tetraselmis [~500 ml]).

For the food once they're ready to start settling, I'd recommend TDO Chromaboost (probably the X-Small, but possibly Small, depending on the size of the hermits).

For the shells - again, this is the hard part. I don't know how big the hermit you're working with (Clibanarius tricolor) is at it's megalopa stage (the stage it goes to settle at), but looking at other species in the genus, I'd expect them to be around 1-3 mm at the time of settlement. The only place I can find that sells Cerithium (or similar) shells that might work for that size is Cinquantagefleur's ebay shop:
They also have these shells available in a wide variety of sizes, so you should be able to get ones that are appropriately sized for the hermit to transition into in their shop as well - I expect you'd need ~1/8"-1/4" (~3-6 mm) shells to start, then ~1/4"-1/2" (~6-12mm), then 1/2"-1" to finish out their growth. I doubt you'd need larger than 1" shells, but you can find larger if needed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back