Unsure if these are dying?

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My tank has been running for 5 months and i added some new coral yesterday, but noticed less than 12 hours, the trumpet coral and hammer are ALREADY showing their skeleton. Kind of discouraged with keeping coral now. Are these dying or am I over worried?

I tested the parameters and received these.

Nitrate: 0ppm
Phos:0.03
Alk:8.8
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Mag:500

IMG_1008.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you mean 1500 for your magnesium?
You want to avoid 0 nitrates; low is fine and a bit elevated is alright but 0 is not. Do you have any livestock that might snack on the coral?

I could see that happening if your mag was indeed 500, but I don't think that's the entire picture. I would also verify salinity

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My tank has been running for 5 months and i added some new coral yesterday, but noticed less than 12 hours, the trumpet coral and hammer are ALREADY showing their skeleton. Kind of discouraged with keeping coral now. Are these dying or am I over worried?

I tested the parameters and received these.

Nitrate: 0ppm
Phos:0.03
Alk:8.8
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Mag:500

IMG_1008.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg
Can you post pictures in white light, it's very difficult to see much of anything and the blue hue lighting.

Did you look at them real closely when you bought them? A lot of times I find that one day is not going to deteriorate a coral. You must look closely and look for signs. For instance, was the flesh receded to the Head? Bad sign.
This may have not been your fault that they receded or declined.

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologizes, I meant 1500. I’ve been raising nitrates by simply feeding more. I have a few mushrooms and A favia that seem to be doing OKAY so far; but not sure. Salinity is sitting at 1.027

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures in white light, it's very difficult to see much of anything and the blue hue lighting.

Did you look at them real closely when you bought them? A lot of times I find that one day is not going to deteriorate a coral. You must look closely and look for signs. For instance, was the flesh receded to the Head? Bad sign.
This may have not been your fault that they receded or declined.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 22

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty bad. The one on the left looks like the mouth is gaping so wide that it's already dying.
No way is this your fault, no way to this happen overnight. Sometimes these takes months before you see outward signs of a coral dying and these types of LPS.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future when looking at LPS like Duncan's, hammers, Etc, look for flesh coming down from the head. The longer it is the more healthy the specimen is. I have seen them as long as an inch to an inch and a half.

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty bad. The one on the left looks like the mouth is gaping so wide that it's already dying.
No way is this your fault, no way to this happen overnight. Sometimes these takes months before you see outward signs of a coral dying and these types of LPS.
It’s just crazy to me. Hopefully things change with time

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to suggest getting your nitrate up to 10-15 and phosphate up to.05.-.1 in order to keep these lps happy. I agree this could not have started overnight.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back