Upgrading?

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 10G JBJ Peninsula going for about 3 months and had a new 20L fall into my lap.

Don't have much in the 10g besides;

2 baby clowns, an Onyx perc and Snowflake occ.

Cleaner Shrimp

2 banded Trochus

2 small Astreas

2 dwarf hermits

Small colony of Zoas

Golfball size Dragons Breath Macro

My question is, how do I hold my livestock over once I get ready to set up new tank.

Ill be using real reef rock, new sand (carib-Sea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink)

I was planning on holding livestock in bucket first thing in the am then setting up new tank right away and using Dr. Tims one and only colony. Ill have Rock in heated saltwater for a few days with some Microbacter7, and have all saltwater ready to go.

Is this plan sound or am I missing something?

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan sounds good. Are you trying to seed the new rock with that bacteria or is that the old rock?

Also not sure if you're aware or not but be careful with having 4 clownfish in a tank that small. When they get older and breeding age they will become more aggressive and territorial.

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan sounds good. Are you trying to seed the new rock with that bacteria or is that the old rock?

Also not sure if you're aware or not but be careful with having 4 clownfish in a tank that small. When they get older and breeding age they will become more aggressive and territorial.

I only have 2 clowns in there, not 4.

Ill be seeding new REAL REEF ROCK with microbacter7, hoping to get rid of old rock.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 clowns in there, not 4.

Ill be seeding new REAL REEF ROCK with microbacter7, hoping to get rid of old rock.

Oh I see. Haha I am sorry I misunderstood.

As to the rock that sounds like a good idea to me then.

For the livestock I would leave the 10g set up and running until you have the 20g running. If that's not an option then a Rubbermaid tub or any other plastic bucket or tub to hold everything in until the new tank is ready.

If you don't mind me asking, are you getting rid of the rock from the 10g or keeping it?

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. Haha I am sorry I misunderstood.

As to the rock that sounds like a good idea to me then.

For the livestock I would leave the 10g set up and running until you have the 20g running. If that's not an option then a Rubbermaid tub or any other plastic bucket or tub to hold everything in until the new tank is ready.

If you don't mind me asking, are you getting rid of the rock from the 10g or keeping it?

Yah the 10 has to come down so I can put 20 on its stand. So I will set up small Rubbermaid container up to hold everything over.

Getting rid of it, id keep it but I wasn't really a fan of the Fiji pieces I Received from BRS back when I set it up. Just didn't fit in my "dream" aquascape.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good to me. I completely understand that issue and definitely a good time to switch up the rocks. How long did you plan to cycle the tank prior to adding the your previous live stock?

Also if you want to save money and not purchase anything new you could keep the 10g going wherever you were going to put the Rubbermaid. I would have some circulation going for gas exchange as well. Also not sure if you were going to or not but keep the old rock with the livestock to keep breaking down the ammonia and other stuff.

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be adding livestock same day.
Here's my plan in more detail

Using Real Reef Rock - The man made stuff.
I've read and been told this is man made rock with artificial coralline algae on it. So no decaying mater, plus the big box LFS keeps it in a big bowfront tank . Ive stolen some of that water and tested, all 0 params.

Id bring rock home, add into a container with flow and heat and saltwater, id do a 3x dose of Microbacter7 and let sit for a few days and retest water.
Day Prior to set-up mix 20 gallons of fresh saltwater.
Wake up plenty early, get livestock into container with old 10g tank water and heater with some flow.

Add rocks, add sand, add water to new tank. Give tank a few hours to settle running just floss to aid in clearing water. Then add Dr. Tim's One and Only, and then add livestock right away as instructions say to do so bacteria doesn't die.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be adding livestock same day.
Here's my plan in more detail

Using Real Reef Rock - The man made stuff.
I've read and been told this is man made rock with artificial coralline algae on it. So no decaying mater, plus the big box LFS keeps it in a big bowfront tank . Ive stolen some of that water and tested, all 0 params.

Id bring rock home, add into a container with flow and heat and saltwater, id do a 3x dose of Microbacter7 and let sit for a few days and retest water.
Day Prior to set-up mix 20 gallons of fresh saltwater.
Wake up plenty early, get livestock into container with old 10g tank water and heater with some flow.

Add rocks, add sand, add water to new tank. Give tank a few hours to settle running just floss to aid in clearing water. Then add Dr. Tim's One and Only, and then add livestock right away as instructions say to do so bacteria doesn't die.

Awesome plan. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into this. You should do a build thread on this. I would like to see the progress.

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome plan. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into this. You should do a build thread on this. I would like to see the progress.

Just don't want to have another cycle start all over and take out my clowns.
I will have to figure out how to upload pics, id love to show off the 10gallon a bit before it goes away.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't want to have another cycle start all over and take out my clowns.
I will have to figure out how to upload pics, id love to show off the 10gallon a bit before it goes away.

You'll most likely have a small cycle just because some of the bacteria will die when you take it out of the water. I think you should be fine as long as the rock is fully cycled and also you have a smaller bio load with only 2 fish who are still babies. The bacteria that youre adding will also aid in breaking down waste. If you are feeling more anxious I would also keep your old rock in the aquarium for the next few weeks as an extra precaution.

Do you test your water on a regular basis? Also how often do you do water changes?

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll most likely have a small cycle just because some of the bacteria will die when you take it out of the water. I think you should be fine as long as the rock is fully cycled and also you have a smaller bio load with only 2 fish who are still babies. The bacteria that youre adding will also aid in breaking down waste. If you are feeling more anxious I would also keep your old rock in the aquarium for the next few weeks as an extra precaution.

Do you test your water on a regular basis? Also how often do you do water changes?

Ive been told to have a bottle of Prime on hand just in case there is a spike I can take care of it <- Make sense??
I test twice a week Tuesday/Friday with 2 gallon water changes on Sundays.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I haven't used prime to counter ammonia though so I can't comment on that. When I upgrade tanks I normally use bio spira. It shortens the cycle by 2 weeks on brand new aquariums and I haven't had a problem with it. I normally also use cycled rock combined with it though.

If you have a spike though your best bet is always a water change. If you notice anything too drastic I would do at least 4 gallons to make it 20% and monitor for a few days after to make sure the ammonia doesn't increase.

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't go well at all..................but for different reasons!
Had two friends bringing up the tank from my basement and they weren't so gentle, nice big crack on bottom and back side.

But did pick up some Carib Sea LifeRock to redo scape and am not letting it go to waste, I took out 50% of old rock(also had some sort of brown hair algae on it) Ill wait a few weeks for the bacteria sprayed onto rock to become active then do the other 50%.

If I can ever figure out how to upload pics I would do that to show It off.

OP
OP
M

mike_conn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok for now, maybe it was a sign to consider a 40B tank! Or continue to save for something like a 125

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back