UPS shipping issue

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I shipped a package via ups on Thursday. It was delivered on time with one major issue. I packaged the 4 frags in sealed bags which were then all placed in a ziplock bag and in a styrofoam container. I received a text from the buyer asking me if I didn’t believe in styrofoam boxes, this had me puzzled. After a few back and forth text and finally a phone call, we realized UPS damaged the box and reboxed the frags in a 4ft plastic bag and box without the styrofoam container. This is crazy. Has anyone had any experiences like this? The customer quickly temperature acclimated the corals and dipped. They are showing polyp extension and no tissue damage as of a couple hours after delivery but we’ll see how they fare today. Very frustrating that UPS would do that. Why would they repackage and not put in styrofoam container? Would it possibly be inspected due to liquid in box?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I’ve ever had a package like that it was because the original box was sooo badly destroyed that water was leaking everywhere and the cardboard box was basically paper so they put everything in a big bag with a zip tie.

Have you tried talking to UPS customer service? What did they say?

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I’ve ever had a package like that it was because the original box was sooo badly destroyed that water was leaking everywhere and the cardboard box was basically paper so they put everything in a big bag with a zip tie.

Have you tried talking to UPS customer service? What did they say?
No I haven’t called them. The sealed frag bags weren’t leaking when the customer received them so the styrofoam and box should not have been damaged from water. I guess I should call today to see if they can explain what happened.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two frag packs were shipped to two different customers from Texas to California. Only 1 shipment had this issue. Not sure about their (CA) species laws.
California is strict and getting stricter. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had "inspected" the shipment.

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California is strict and getting stricter. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had "inspected" the shipment.
Yeah I was talking to a friend who ships allot and he told me the package was probably inspected…. I would think if that’s what happened they could have attest put it back in the styrofoam container.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was talking to a friend who ships allot and he told me the package was probably inspected…. I would think if that’s what happened they could have attest put it back in the styrofoam container.
They dont care. They just want to make sure the shipment is "legal and safe" for them.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I’ve never heard of this happening before.
If it went through a major hub or port they may have had state inspectors there. This came up a few years ago on a fresh water forum I am on, but the shipment came from overseas I think... Anyway, they held the fish because they didnt know the difference between a snakehead and a Bichir. 10 expensive rare fish dead because they sat in bags in the warehouse over the weekend out of the styrofoam packing waiting for conformation on what they were. The shipping invoice was labeled with scientific names of the fish, but someone thought they knew better. 10 dead fish arrived in different packing on wednesday. According to the member they said they were still alive on repackaging. May not be the same scenario or I may be remembering it differently.

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it went through a major hub or port they may have had state inspectors there. This came up a few years ago on a fresh water forum I am on, but the shipment came from overseas I think... Anyway, they held the fish because they didnt know the difference between a snakehead and a Bichir. 10 expensive rare fish dead because they sat in bags in the warehouse over the weekend out of the styrofoam packing waiting for conformation on what they were. The shipping invoice was labeled with scientific names of the fish, but someone thought they knew better. 10 dead fish arrived in different packing on wednesday. According to the member they said they were still alive on repackaging. May not be the same scenario or I may be remembering it differently.
Whatever happened there’s nothing I can do now. Just talked to customer and he said the coral look good this morning so hopefully they will be fine

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back