Urchin hasn’t moved in days

kammycat2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a pincushion urchin who usually is very active. I did a water change a couple days ago and he spawned and now hasn’t moved from his spot for about 2 days. I know he isn’t dead cause his spines are moving and he’s holding onto a shell. He hasn’t dropped any spines either. I just find it weird that he used to be so active but now he doesn’t wanna move. Should I be worried? Is there a reason this may be happening?
IMG_0837.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushion urchins are nocturnal, so it's possible that its moving at night and you don't see, then it goes to the exact spot during the day. I have heard a few stories like this. Try putting some nori in the tank, and check back after an hour or two after the lights are out.

OP
OP
kammycat2002

kammycat2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His little grippers are moving around and he has not lost any spines. I moved him to a different spot in case he was just stuck. He’s mad but he otherwise seems ok.

OP
OP
kammycat2002

kammycat2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I think I figured out what happened. Ma astrea snails all suddenly died and I looked up why that could be. And it said they can die from temperature increases. Turns out, after I changed the water I adjusted my heater and had accidentally set it a couple degrees higher than usual and my thermometer didn’t catch it. (Usually keep it at 78 but set it to 80) so i turned up back down and hopefully he’ll perk back up gotta get a new thermometer now

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back