Used Saltwater Disposal??

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how most people discard thier saltwater after doing a water change. I know that saltwater is not good for stuff like grass and gardens. I have also heard that it can cause calcium buildups in your pipes if you just dump it in the bathtub/sink. Would it be best to flush it down the toilet? I don't want to harm the environment if I can help it. How do you discard your used saltwater??

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes down the drain for lack of anywhere else to put it.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes down the laundry tub drain. Have never had a problem with deposits or corrosion. Probably because it's always flushed out with fresh water when I rinse out the buckets from a water change. If I had a setup where I was draining water from a system with a hose directly to the drain, I'd flush afterward with fresh water.

My weekly water changes result in 30 gal. of saltwater going down the drain. An unexpected benefit of that is that I haven't had a sewer tree root problem for years. A couple of years ago, I had a plumber clean out the sewer as a preventive measure. I was convinced that there had to be roots because the sewer line runs right next to a tree. He came up with nothing. I haven't had a hint of backup since.

Gary

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unexpected benefit of that is that I haven't had a sewer tree root problem for years. A couple of years ago, I had a plumber clean out the sewer as a preventive measure. I was convinced that there had to be roots because the sewer line runs right next to a tree. He came up with nothing. I haven't had a hint of backup since.

Gary
Hmmm... never thought about that end of it, but I guess it makes perfect sense.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go down the drain... I find it REALLY hard to believe anyone would experience calcium build up in the pipes unless your doing massive water changes daily. It takes years and years for Calcium to build up in the PVC we constantly pump saltwater through in our systems!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i toss mine outside. i happen to have an area of the back yard that i dont want grass so i toss it there. has not been a bit of vegitation tehre for years lol. kinda like the ultimate weed killer.

i always joke with my wife that one day 200 years from now someone is going to dig on this site and come up with some crazy story about how there used to be an ocean here because of the coral rock and salt deposits they would find.

Last edited:

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always joke with my wife that one day 200 years from now someone is going to dig on this site and come up with some crazy story about how there used to be an ocean because of the coral rock and salt deposits they would find.

Thats great .

Mine goes down the drain. I cant imagine 5-7 gallons of water a week is going to be a problem on my pipes

Back