Used splash-less bleach while curing live rock

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 30% of human solids by weight - looks good to me!!!

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should the rock be be soaked in ro after running all of this tap water thro if h the buckets?

Looks like this did the trick btw running the house with constant flow through the bottom of the bucket and allowing it to flow out the top!

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long should the Roscoe be soaked in ro after running all of this tap water thro if h the buckets?

Looks like this did the trick btw running the house with constant flow through the bottom of the bucket and allowing it to flow out the top!
I’m glad to hear!!!! Once you no longer see suds you should just do an overnight soak in RODI with a little vinegar and then you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to hear!!!! Once you no longer see suds you should just do an overnight soak in RODI with a little vinegar and then you should be good to go.
Suds are gone!! :) I let the airstones run for about an hour and there was nothing more than I usually see with my tap water when running air stones. Do you think the stone needs to be soaked for 24 hrs in ro or would a few hour bath be alright with some dechlorinator to help remove and chlorine from the tap water

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a muriatic acid bath? When I used it the white scale you show was dissolved. It would probably remove any contaminants from the bleach also. Itd dangerous so look into if you do try it. It will actual dissolve rock so you don't want to let the rock soak like you do bleach.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a muriatic acid bath? When I used it the white scale you show was dissolved. It would probably remove any contaminants from the bleach also. Itd dangerous so look into if you do try it. It will actual dissolve rock so you don't want to let the rock soak like you do bleach.
I am soaking in vinegar and ro water right now hoping that there are no bubbles. I can’t really smell anything coming off the rock. Maybe a little bleach so I am gonna run dechlorinator too and hope that takes care of the smell. The rock has been out of bleach for a few days now almost a week. Blown away there is still a smell there

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went and grabbed the acid how long would I let it soak

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's been a while but I think I did about 5 minutes. My memory isn't that great these days so you may want to see what others recommend. You have to neutralize the acid with baking soda when done then rinse. Do it outdoors and be sure and wear ppe. It's some nasty stuff

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while but I think I did about 5 minutes. My memory isn't that great these days so you may want to see what others recommend. You have to neutralize the acid with baking soda when done then rinse. Do it outdoors and be sure and wear ppe. It's some nasty stuff
Alright I soaked it 30:1 for 15 mins. How long should I be soaking the rock in a bin after. It has a hose running through it and I neutralized the bin before with baking soda as well as the bin I took it from

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I soaked it 30:1 for 15 mins. How long should I be soaking the rock in a bin after. It has a hose running through it and I neutralized the bin before with baking soda as well as the bin I took it from

I rinsed mine with a water hose then air dried. I was not using it immediately so I left it outside for a few weeks. If you want to use it right away I'd rather someone that has more experience chime in. I've only used acid once because I wanted that white scale off.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed mine with a water hose then air dried. I was not using it immediately so I left it outside for a few weeks. If you want to use it right away I'd rather someone that has more experience chime in. I've only used acid once because I wanted that white scale off.
Do you have anyone you can pin to the chat which may know

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it will absolutely ruin the rock, it may just take a little while longer to soak it. Though I’m not an expert, @Randy Holmes-Farley is. He may have answers for you
@Randy Holmes-Farley

How long do you generally soak rock after a muriatic acid bath? I added baking soda to the bin which had the acid and the new bin it’s soaking in with hose water running through as well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muratic acid would be the ticket in my opinion.. I put the rock in a trash can and fill it with water about an inch above the rocks and pour a gallon in.. it will foam up and when it stops bubbling you’re good to go! Rinse with a garden hose and let it dry.. people soak in ro but I never have and never had a problem. Takes 30-40 minutes

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it with a hose and let it dry over night and you’re good to go! I’ve even put rocks in my display a hour after muratic acid bath I mean the worst it would do is lower your ph temporary

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muratic acid would be the ticket in my opinion.. I put the rock in a trash can and fill it with water about an inch above the rocks and pour a gallon in.. it will foam up and when it stops bubbling you’re good to go! Rinse with a garden hose and let it dry.. people soak in ro but I never have and never had a problem. Takes 30-40 minutes
How long should I be soaking it in water? I have ro water I am gonna soak it in for a bit too before moving it to the tank but I am just wondering like how long it take the acid to wash out

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long should I be soaking it in water? I have ro water I am gonna soak it in for a bit too before moving it to the tank but I am just wondering like how long it take the acid to wash out
Neutralize the acid with baking soda. And then you can just wash out the baking soda, rinse in RO for an hour or two and you’re done.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rinsed with a hose for 2-3 minutes and that’s it.. never soaked mine

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back