Using chlorine to disinfect a QT

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite sure what the logic is here. Of course you can achieve complete sterilization with chlorine bleach. It is no problem to achieve 50-100 ppm or even more with sodium hypochlorite. See this document from CDC that describes how much you need to sterilize various things
https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

There is no reason to wait a long time for the chlorine to evaporate. Get some sodium thiosulfate and use it directly to neutralize the chlorine once the time you want to treat has elapsed. See here
http://www.edspumps.com/water-treatment/documents/Antichlorination.pdf
for a chart that tells you how much thiosulfate you need to neutralized chlorine. An easy test is to simply smell it. When you can't smell chlorine any longer, it is gone.

One issue with using chlorine is that it can react with organic material to generate halogenated hydrocarbons which can be toxic/carcinogenic. I'd expect that carbon after the sodium thiosulfate neutralization will get rid of any of those still around.

Or am I missing something important here?

Bruce

I wanted to document this entire process, explain how to do it and what to expect to achieve from doing it. Reading this thread will provide some background info.

First off, you cannot expect to achieve complete sterilization from dosing chlorine into a QT. Eradicating Ich (Cryptocaryon) tomonts, for example, requires maintaining 60 mg/L chlorine for 24 hours (source here - Table 2); but that seems difficult to achieve. :rolleyes: Also, I think using that much chlorine could damage equipment/pumps used in a QT.

So the concentration I am shooting for with this experiment is 10ppm (or mg/L). According to this source that should be good enough to reduce most bacteria, protozoa and virus populations by 99.99%. :p What I'm most concerned with is heterotrophic bacteria building up in a long-term QT. These bacteria use organic carbon as a food source and thus, will biodegrade most medications (excluding copper) if their populations are left unchecked. (My rationale for believing this can be found here.) So the goal is to knock them back periodically by hammering these bacteria with chlorine. :D Instead of having to break down & sterilize (via drying) a long-term QT from time to time.

With this in mind, I've setup a 10 gal QT with all the usual equipment (photo below - removed some water to avoid bleach splashing out of the tank). This morning @ 9am I dosed 1/4 cup of regular liquid bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) to achieve 10ppm chlorine. (Actually, just slightly higher than 10ppm.) This turned the QT cloudy and slightly yellow. :eek: I will continue to test the chlorine level every 8 hrs to see how long it takes for it to fully evaporate. And then drop a damsel in for good measure. ;) I will also examine all QT equipment in a week or two to ensure no damage has been done from the chlorine.

Monday @ 9am: >10ppm chlorine
Monday @ 3pm: >10ppm chlorine (+6 hrs)
Tuesday @ 12am: >10ppm chlorine (+15 hrs)
Tuesday @ 10am: >10ppm chlorine (+25 hrs)
Wednesday @ 10am: >10ppm chlorine (+49 hrs)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bblumberg Thank you for the input. I'm wary of using sodium thiosulfate in a QT, as there are known issues adding medications to the water in the presence of that. Especially copper.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't use a vast excess of sodium thiosulfate, I don't see the issue. The balanced chemical reaction is

4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O

Therefore, I would expect little to no thiosulfate left at the end of your treatment. If you want to get rid of it quickly, add a little hydrogen peroxide and that will oxidize the sodium thiosulfate to sulfuric acid.

Bruce

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I ran it up over 100ppm, so it took more than 2 weeks for the chlorine to completely evaporate (see below). If I had dosed just enough to achieve 10ppm it would have evaporated in about a week; 3ppm would be gone in about 72 hrs. Good dosing guide can be found here: http://dec.vermont.gov/sites/dec/files/dwgwp/DW/chlorinedosageemergencydisinfection.pdf

Today I will take all the pumps apart to check for rust/oxidation/damage and report back with my findings.
Monday @ 9am: >10ppm chlorine
Monday @ 3pm: >10ppm chlorine (+6 hrs)
Tuesday @ 12am: >10ppm chlorine (+15 hrs)
Tuesday @ 10am: >10ppm chlorine (+25 hrs)
Wednesday @ 10am: >10ppm chlorine (+49 hrs)
Thursday @ 1pm: >10ppm chlorine (+76 hrs)
Friday @ 1pm: >10ppm chlorine (+100 hrs)
Saturday @ 1pm: >10ppm chlorine (+124 hrs)
Monday @ 1pm: 10ppm chlorine (+172 hrs) (1 week, 4 hrs)
Wednesday @ 1pm: 8ppm chlorine (+220 hrs)
Friday @ 1pm: 3ppm chlorine (+268 hrs)
Saturday @ 3pm: 2ppm chlorine (+294 hrs)
Sunday @ 3pm: 0.5ppm chlorine (+318 hrs)
Monday @ 2pm: NO DETECTABLE CHLORINE (+341 hrs) (2 weeks, 5 hrs)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back