Using coppersafe until copper meter arrives

mariegibson202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From previous advice I need to start using copper immediately. I have two clownfish and a lawnmower blenny moved to a 13g QT tank. I have coppersafe on hand however the reader will not arrive until later this week. Can I start the treatment now or should I just hope for the best and wait until the reader arrives. If I can start how should I do so? If not will freshwater dips assist the fish until the meter arrives.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From previous advice I need to start using copper immediately. I have two clownfish and a lawnmower blenny moved to a 13g QT tank. I have coppersafe on hand however the reader will not arrive until later this week. Can I start the treatment now or should I just hope for the best and wait until the reader arrives. If I can start how should I do so? If not will freshwater dips assist the fish until the meter arrives.
When you say reader, I assume test kit.
Yes you can start copper safe with out kit. Dose based on 11 Gallons and follow directions precisely and once kit arrives, adjust if needed. If you’re able to, increase oxygen during treatment

OP
OP
M

mariegibson202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can start copper safe with out kit. Dose based on 11 Gallons and follow directions precisely and once kit arrives, adjust if needed. If you’re able to, increase oxygen during

Yes you can start copper safe with out kit. Dose based on 11 Gallons and follow directions precisely and once kit arrives, adjust if needed. If you’re able to, increase oxygen during treatment
Thank you! Also will the lawnmower blenny be ok with the Copper. I've read some conflicting opinions about it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Also will the lawnmower blenny be ok with the Copper. I've read some conflicting opinions about it
Lawnmower blennies are fine with coppersafe, however, they do not like algae-free quarantine tanks. You can try feeding it Nori, and of course, feed it whatever else that you have been. Be sure to monitor the ammonia closely, that kills more fish in new quarantine tanks than copper ever does.
To calculate the exact volume of water in your tank, measure the inside width and length and water depth in inches. Multiply these 3 numbers and divide by 231. That will give you gallons. Then use an accurate measuring device (like a pipette) to measure out the corresponding amount of copper safe. I think the dose will be somewhere between 10 and 15 ml.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back