Has anyone used natural sea water?

If so how did you do it?

UV Sterilizer? etc???

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tested for salinity, ph, calcium, carbonate, nitrates, phosphates....things which are easy to test.

Not to mention there are plenty of bad things that can be in the water that you cannot easily test for.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy doing it with great success in my local club. He lives in Corpus Christi tx. He has a massive write up on it on maast. U can look at pics of his tank over the last 3 years using natural sea water.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on your water. IE: Pensacola NSWr would be better then Atlantic City NSW. I don't know of anyone that has not been successful with it however.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it without problems in the past - in fact when I set up my 90 gallon almost all the water I used for the first fill was from the Gulf, half of the initial fill for my 180 was also from the Gulf. On both of those tanks I would say I did a Gulf water change with them about 1x/month for the first few months - other 2-3 were artificial salt water. I never did anything to the water except keep it circulating and heated it if needed. That said, however, the water was collected well offshore in blue water and used within 24 hours. The only reason I don't use it more often now is that it is considerably more work to get it since we don't live on the Gulf, just have a cottage there ..... so collecting it on the boat, transferring it to containers in the truck to take home ...... just simpler to mix the salt next to the tank!:eek:hwell:

I still have the 90 and a 300 gallon now and still do use the Gulf water once in awhile. I'm sure there are risks to it but personally I'm willing to take them - I figure it is just as good as our man-made water for the tank and I think it adds something beneficial to the enclosed system - everything has always responded positively to it. If it was easier I would use it all the time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back