Using Red Sea Trace Colors with BRS 2-part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Reefer Jeff. Testing for Iodine is tricky. I need to try Red Sea's test if you like it. Testing for Strontium is a nightmare. I just don't trust it. I leave all of these to ICP. Have you heard of anybody else overdosing these elements?

I do run the RS ABCD color kit. And while I've been using the RS Iodine test kit for some time, as this is the easiest Iodine test kit I've used. The results don't always 'make sense' (most likely do to my testing techniques). So, running 2 or 3 test to check for repeatable test results and color change has been helpful. However, in the end, I have found that an ICP test every 4 months or so, has been the most helpful for tuning the dosing of the RS ABCB program.

Today, with about 19 ml/day Ca/Alk (primarily dosing Kalk and using the conversion factors provided by Randy in an earlier video) based on ICP testing, I am finding 10 ml/wk of A, and 8 ml/wk of B,C,D has minimized the ICP recommended dosing corrections following a test.

So, I choose not to dose to a "perfect" Iodine level in the tank...too much work/expense in chasing that number. As well as ICP testing, each RS Iodine test (to be honest, I don't do theses as often as I use to) shows a reserve of Iodine in the system well below harmful levels...

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run the RS ABCD color kit. And while I've been using the RS Iodine test kit for some time, as this is the easiest Iodine test kit I've used. The results don't always 'make sense' (most likely do to my testing techniques). So, running 2 or 3 test to check for repeatable test results and color change has been helpful. However, in the end, I have found that an ICP test every 4 months or so, has been the most helpful for tuning the dosing of the RS ABCB program.

Today, with about 19 ml/day Ca/Alk (primarily dosing Kalk and using the conversion factors provided by Randy in an earlier video) based on ICP testing, I am finding 10 ml/wk of A, and 8 ml/wk of B,C,D has minimized the ICP recommended dosing corrections following a test.

So, I choose not to dose to a "perfect" Iodine level in the tank...too much work/expense in chasing that number. As well as ICP testing, each RS Iodine test (to be honest, I don't do theses as often as I use to) shows a reserve of Iodine in the system well below harmful levels...

Good to know Joe. Sounds like you have it pegged!

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright R2Reefers,

As Ryan promised in his ULM video, here is the Spotlight for the Red Sea Trace Colors and how implement them with BRS 2-part dosing!

Is there a BRS Investigates planned for this in the future? I would love to see if the results are worth the effort!

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this one back up.
Can you mix the colors abcd to the brs calcium?. This would be much easier but it looks like the video is for adding seperately.

thanks,
Albert

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this one back up.
Can you mix the colors abcd to the brs calcium?. This would be much easier but it looks like the video is for adding seperately.

thanks,
Albert

You'll want to keep the A, B, C, and D separate to avoid precipitation issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back