Utility pump has signs of rusting bolts underneath

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a utliity pump to pump fresh saltwater into my 130 gallon reef tank and noticed that some of the screws underneath are rusting. I always rise the pump with fresh water after each use. Should I be concerned about getting copper in my reef tank? Is there a high powered utility pump that does not have any parts that can rust?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a utliity pump to pump fresh saltwater into my 130 gallon reef tank and noticed that some of the screws underneath are rusting. I always rise the pump with fresh water after each use. Should I be concerned about getting copper in my reef tank? Is there a high powered utility pump that does not have any parts that can rust?
Is this a pump for aquarium use?
They use stainless steel screws if it is. You may or may not know, stainless steel can also rust.
If it's not horrible, imo, leave it. You can always replace them if you want.
Sounds like this pump is only used that once in a while for water change. I wouldn't worry about it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Couple thoughts.
First you see rust on some screws and are worried about copper? What's your thought process to come to this conclusion?
This is the utility pump I use.
If you look you might be able to find this pump along with the hose they were selling a couple years ago.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple thoughts.
First you see rust on some screws and are worried about copper? What's your thought process to come to this conclusion?
This is the utility pump I use.
If you look you might be able to find this pump along with the hose they were selling a couple years ago.

Yes, glad you pointed this out.
Screws won't have copper unless they are brass screws.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back