UV installation. Is this ok?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this UV setup be ok in terms of intake and output? My sump has 2 middle chambers and I’ve set it up to pull from the first chamber and return to the second chamber. There is a baffle between the second chamber and the sump return chamber so I don’t think it will affect the return level and throw the ATO sensor off. (Yea, I know these Coralife Turbo Twists aren’t that great, but I caught a super good deal on it new and I plan to upgrade it to a Pentair or Aqua later on)
7EFE5EDE-CBDF-4578-B2E5-C512451F8D17.jpeg

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the inputs to be pointed up I believe. If you point them down then the air bubble will be in the chamber with the light. Point them up and the air bubble will be in the inputs and the chamber should be filled with water

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the inputs to be pointed up I believe. If you point them down then the air bubble will be in the chamber with the light. Point them up and the air bubble will be in the inputs and the chamber should be filled with water
Hmm ok. I wasn’t sure if it mattered with these being turbo twists and having rifling to direct the water around the bulb.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a similar setup with an icecap uv sterilizer. So much air got in the tank. I eventually placed it with the flow going up. Good luck

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn't going to do much. You need a closed loop in the display for best results. If a UV is going to be located in a sump. than it should be inline with your return pump. It needs a low flow rate. I have 145g and use 57 watts so 300 is recommended. Your UV looks pretty small.

Attachments

• 20231014_125942.jpg
    20231014_125942.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 35

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to mount it so Air won’t get trapped in it, That mounting will trap air. Unit won’t be as efficient, Lamp will run hotter and shorten it’s life. Turbo-Twist, don’t need to be taken apart for cleaning. If the Lamp is working, it will be clean on the inside. When it’s time to replace the lamp, break out the instructions. I’ve seen more than one destroyed from improper disassemble.

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this UV setup be ok in terms of intake and output? My sump has 2 middle chambers and I’ve set it up to pull from the first chamber and return to the second chamber. There is a baffle between the second chamber and the sump return chamber so I don’t think it will affect the return level and throw the ATO sensor off. (Yea, I know these Coralife Turbo Twists aren’t that great, but I caught a super good deal on it new and I plan to upgrade it to a Pentair or Aqua later on)
7EFE5EDE-CBDF-4578-B2E5-C512451F8D17.jpeg
Be super careful having the bulb over the water line. Don’t ever have the bulb running without the pump running or it could be a bad time for you. Ideally you move the UV below the sump water line. Then bulb will always be in water no matter what

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my UV on a dedicated circuit breaker. water and electricity get very close in those.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the air bubble thing is an issue you could just mount it upright. If it were my set up I would definitely plumb it back to the display. I know having an extra piece of plumbing in the display is unsightly however it is best for UV operation

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it so both ends of the In and out Tubing are Below the water line, with the pumps off, water will remain in the UV, even if it is above the Sumps water line. Also you don’t want the out Tubing above the water line, as the splashing will create a lot of salt creep.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back