UV Installation Mistakes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Silverback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I've just been watching your 5 minute piece on how to avoid UV installation mistakes - getting water directly out of the DT is perhaps going to be difficult for me, and I wondered what the secrets were to a sump installation - is it as simple was making the return from the UV in a section of the sump after the intake?

Thanks in advance...

OP
OP
S

Silverback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so looking at the sump installation in the video, the UV seems to be fed from the return pump, and the output goes to the filter sock stage.

Is this the method you're referring to?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I've just been watching your 5 minute piece on how to avoid UV installation mistakes - getting water directly out of the DT is perhaps going to be difficult for me, and I wondered what the secrets were to a sump installation - is it as simple was making the return from the UV in a section of the sump after the intake?

Thanks in advance...

If you can't plumb from the sump to the tank, then the next best option is going to be to have the output "down stream" of the UV feed pump. Keep in mind that you'll be effectively be bypassing some of your tank's filtration, so you might want to experiment with increasing sump turnover slightly to counteract this.

OP
OP
S

Silverback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't plumb from the sump to the tank, then the next best option is going to be to have the output "down stream" of the UV feed pump. Keep in mind that you'll be effectively be bypassing some of your tank's filtration, so you might want to experiment with increasing sump turnover slightly to counteract this.
thanks guys - I probably should have said that I love the videos by the way!!

I could go from the sump directly to the tank potentially. So am I better putting the feed pump in the first stage (before algae bed and skimmer) or after?

if that isn't an option, then have I misunderstood the sump set up shown in the video? It's potentially easer to get the feed from after the filtration and then return to the first stage (my sumps are stacked) but I want to try to get the most out of the instllation.

thanks again!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a way to plumb from sump to display, that would be ideal. Otherwise, either of the plan B options that you've laid out here would also be ok, just not optimal. If I were setting up my own tank and had to use one of the plan B options, my pick would be to put the feed pump before the output. In other words, make sure the output of the UV sterilizer is into a chamber after the feed pump.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to pull directly from the DT. Ideally, the UV, pump and plumbing is all on its own, put pump in return section of sump and plumb it to the DT. If you cant do this, then yes BRS has next best thing.

OP
OP
S

Silverback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a way to plumb from sump to display, that would be ideal. Otherwise, either of the plan B options that you've laid out here would also be ok, just not optimal. If I were setting up my own tank and had to use one of the plan B options, my pick would be to put the feed pump before the output. In other words, make sure the output of the UV sterilizer is into a chamber after the feed pump.

You dont have to pull directly from the DT. Ideally, the UV, pump and plumbing is all on its own, put pump in return section of sump and plumb it to the DT. If you cant do this, then yes BRS has next best thing.

thanks guys - appreciate you taking the time to help!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back