UV, size and plumbing question

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

Setting up a new tank, 142 gallons in total dry between the DT and sump, so probably in the lower 130s when everything up and running.

I'm looking at the AQ uv 25 and 57 watt. The 25 says it can handle up to 150 gallons. Normally that close to the limit I would go with the next size up. My concern in doing that is heat. We keep our house around 70-72 degrees and I'm not sure if the 57 watt is going to be a concern there on the tank temp. Any suggestions here?

Secondly on the plumbing. I'd like to get a dedicated pump so I can dial in the flow as needed, but a bit confused on where to place the intake and outlet. 3 chambers in sump, with a reefmat in the 1st, skimmer in the 2nd and return pump in the 3rd. Suggestions on placement of intake and outlet?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a 57w bulb making any drastic change in temp. Honestly pumps running in the sump warm it up more. That being said, I have a dedicated pump for my uv in the skimmer chamber and have the outlet dumping into the return chamber. There are fancier ways to go about it I'm sure tho. Just my 0.02

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go with the bigger one and control it to shut off if the tank gets hot. I use one just for water clarity. Just circulates in and out the sump for convenience of plumbing and it works great for clarity.

OP
OP
BaldAndBeard

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice so far. On the 57w the suggested flow rate seems way way above what other similar devices suggest. Not sure why aqua needs it that high but that will play into the decision as well I suppose.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo 25w is a bit small for the size tank your using it for. The 57w will work better for you

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the 57w. It wont make a drastic difference with the uv running, but it will affect tank temp. I keep my house @ 66-67 in the winter and my heaters rarely turned on. Thats a 120g display with a 25g sump (110g filled)

OP
OP
BaldAndBeard

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the 57w. It wont make a drastic difference with the uv running, but it will affect tank temp. I keep my house @ 66-67 in the winter and my heaters rarely turned on. Thats a 120g display with a 25g sump (110g filled)
Thanks, that heat is definitely a concern. In Oklahoma we have to keep our house about 72 in the summer so our electric bill isn't crazy high.

What flow rate are you running on your setup? Aqua has super high recommendations while I read most people are running much lower.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I plumbed my tank I left two openings in the pvc where I was able to just screw the lines in for my reactor. Flow is controlled by the return pump, I'm sure you could do something similar with the uv

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's plumbed into your return line? Or do you have something more complex set up?
The picture is my sump, as I'm working so had to take it remotely but everything is right to left on the manifold.

Screenshot_20230520-121143~2.png

Return pump, manifold for carbon reactor, down arrow to UV and then up arrow from uv to display. Nothing too complicated, I just want to treat ALL the water. IMHO less efficient to treat something thats dumped back into the sump.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back