UV Sterilizer - DIY

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out page 8, it has a chart with brief discussion on saltwater UV including exposure rates(GPM) for dealing with various issues that a UV can help with.

Aqua Ultra Violet instructions

The whole little pamphlet explains the theory, I have one of these units and they are simple and work. Whatever you buy, should come with similar gph details on how much you can run through the unit and deal with the water organism you want to control (by death.)

Previous information on airsystem UV filtration is a different application, and I am too lazy to compare them but you have both references if anyone wants to do that.

UV needs to be shielded to prevent damage to eyes and degradation of UV susceptable materials in the environment.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will eat the silicone. Lifeguard actually sells a replaceable guard for their UVs so it doesn't eat the plastic from the inside out.
Screenshot_20240213_191833_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213_191833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240213_191833_Chrome.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 47

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you're saying. I'll just do the traditional inline, but I may do it on both lines if I run dual sumps. Just tossing ideas around. Thanks for your input!!
You can’t have “dual sumps” unless one drains into the other. There can only be one “low” point in the system where water is returned from. Anything else will be a never ending balancing act without automation and fail-safes.

OP
OP
armyvetheather

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. At the size of your build, research hot tub and pool options. You will save a boatload of money.
What about something like this? Even two running on each return..

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the other thing. How are you to make it slow and fast? That may sound silly, but my research says you need two rates of flow depending on what you're targeting. Could you not achieve both with two lights?
You achieve the flow by changing the pump speed or using something inline to dial it. You could have two lights but that doubles the cost.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one’s hard to believe the specs. Systems we have installed cost a bit more. I would have to research this further. We tend to stick with brands we know.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are for fresh water algae (Pond) applications, not for saltwater ICH, or whatever. They can work, but the manufacture specs don't include how much UV light these produce. You can look at the other manual I provided and guess how much UV light these produce/watt (maybe it's the same?) but be careful to compare kill rates in freshwater, and if they are the same then the watts and flow suggested for the marine application can be transferred to these as well.

The price is much better.

Also, as @Mikeltee noted the bulbs need to be replaced (typically yearly) but bulb replacement costs can be hugely different between some units if they have there own special bulb. Again, I am too Lazy to look closer, I didn't see them list a unit of UV light/ other than watts so comparison is more difficult.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with aqua ultraviolet. Time tested, quality units. They don’t eat themselves alive and have very clear specs.

I would put it on accessory loop for easy maintenance and the ability to adjust flow, that loop may return to the display tank or feed a skimmer, chiller etc. Trying to put everything on one pump means you also tie everything to a single point of failure.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After further research, I'd target this with an 80 watt plumbed inline with one of my returns. $571 is cheaper than an Aqua uv 25. Bulbs are $45. I just got one. I'd replace the gasket every other year. They are $8. The quartz sleeve should last at least 5.
Screenshot_20240213_194556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_194915_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_194827_eBay.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
armyvetheather

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about those units. They look well built also. I did not dig in, but do they actually come in 318, or is it 316L?
Not sure. Gotta dig in a little more myself. Others are saying it won't be a strong enough light. Guess I'll have to go with the Lifegard.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Gotta dig in a little more myself. Others are saying it won't be a strong enough light. Guess I'll have to go with the Lifegard.
I personally would NOT buy the lifeguard if I had the money to buy the Aqua UV unit or the units listed by Tenecor. If funds were sparse, then I would look at the Lifeguard. You size by two criteria. Flow through the unit and tank size. If you want to run it on both "modes" then you buy the size that will work for the higher flow number and put it on DC pump that you can slow down to hit the lower flow number.

OP
OP
armyvetheather

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would NOT buy the lifeguard if I had the money to buy the Aqua UV unit or the units listed by Tenecor. If funds were sparse, then I would look at the Lifeguard. You size by two criteria. Flow through the unit and tank size. If you want to run it on both "modes" then you buy the size that will work for the higher flow number and put it on DC pump that you can slow down to hit the lower flow number.
I definitely need to look at all and reread everyone's suggestions again so I can make a more informed decision. Definitely not moving ahead with the original idea. Really appreciate all of the input and for you all taking the time to help! Really awesome community!!

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My final comment on this is “how do you know it’s working”? You really don’t. Unless you test and control. Kinda like horoscopes.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, you buy an oversized UV to target protozoa as well as algae at the same time... weren't you one of the first purchasers of the new Pro? Or was that vette?

I have a 57w Aqua UV, a 15w Aqua UV and a 40w Lifeguard. The Aqua UV is made better and looks better. Performance is the same. There is nothing wrong with the Lifeguard. If I had to do it again, I'd just go with Lifeguards for the savings. If I wanted the best and money was no object I'd go Aqua UV or the new model Lifeguard Pros. Those appear to be just as well built as the Aqua UV. They are significantly cheaper as well.
Screenshot_20240213_235811_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regardless of what you choose, please don't skip the Quarantine protocol or you are going to have a bad time. I recently met a local with a monster tank that added a monster UV to address ich. Ich still killed all his fish. He threw it out. I bought my first UV to help with dinos. It didn't help. Why do have now have 3 UV? Because I'm addicted and a gear junky. Does it help? Hell if I know.

The fact of the matter is that you need to QT every single fish that goes into your tank. I don't QT Coral but I do dip. I've fought dinos. I've fought Bubble Algae. I've fought cyno. They don't scare me. Velvet does scare me...

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pic of my tank Cycled from sterile rock Nov7th and blasted with light for the past 3 months. There is minimal uglies. 24x7 oversized UV since day one. 57w Aqua UV inline with return at 400gph. Tank is 130g (90 with displacement). That rock is Phosphate bound. It started at over 2ppm. Its now .11. I should have had major Algae issues. I recentlt hooked up a Surf Algae Scrubber so that is cheating the uglies as well.
20240128_135326.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back