UV Sterilizer in Saltwater storage / mixing station

JLSilverFox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted a new drop in UV Sterilizer rated for a 120 gallon tank. My system is 65 gal display + a 40 gal breeder for a sump (~30 gal of water) + 40 gal breeder Refugium = 125-135 gallons total system. My water remains clear but I cannot seem to figure out my nitrate / phosphate / algae problem. Regardless of the GHA problem (which is a well covered topic on other threads), I'm curious if anyone is adding UV to their mixing station as a preventative measure for any unwanted contamination from storing mixed water. It is not uncommon for me to store premixed water for a week or two until I can make time to do a water change.

My saltwater mixing station is (2) 32 gallon brutes with a recirculation return pump so it has a lid but is not sealed and I have a good bit of flow. It might also be noteworthy that only RO/DI water is being used.

Would I get more bang for the buck if I put a drop in UV Sterilizer in saltwater storage or do you think I could / should just add it to the display.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I am following...

Are you avoiding putting the UV in circulation with your main tank for some reason?

I store water (fresh and mixed) for ~45-60 days at a time and never noticed in my experience an issue with it going bad in any way. I would not have considered putting UV on it, by maybe I'll learn something in this thread that says otherwise!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JLSilverFox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't necessarily think there is any issue with my stored water so, a UV in stored water could be a complete waste. If I decided to spend money on a UV sterilizer I would choose to plumb it from directly after mechanical filtration to my return pump chamber. Because I was gifted a $100 "drop in" (see attachment) UV I am trying to figure out the best place to install it. The best answer might be to skip it all together, IDK.
Some options are:
- RO/DI water storage (fresh) - always have 30 gallons on standby and i consume 10-15 gallons/week for ATO and try to mix around 150 gallons of saltwater per month for water changes. (total turnover time = about a week)
- Saltwater storage mixing station - typical storage time is only 1-3 weeks
- Any chamber in my sump (Socks -> Skimmer -> Refugium pump / heaters -> Return pump chamber)
- Directly in my display

Beyond that, I mentioned my GHA issue because it is the main problem with the tank in general hence the reason for a huge refugium. Also run carbon (in return pump chamber) and socks almost 24/7.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-09 141559.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 141559.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not uncommon for me to store premixed water for a week or two until I can make time to do a water change.
I stored mixed SW (50 gallons of it) for 5+ years with a lose fitting lid and no circulation. I made it for a round of water changed that never happend.

I recently placed in a circulation pump and some carbon and used it for makup water depleted during automated tests (about 1000ml day)... no issues. Could there be with water stored THAT long that got contaminated? Sure, anything is possible.

I just don't see a need to add UV to a SW mixing station. A small carbon filter would not hurt though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JLSilverFox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it appears the answer is: it is unnecessary. I agree, and thank you!

Follow up question:
would adding the aforementioned UV directly to the display tank be a positive?

Upvote 0

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a UV on mine, but I did have an out break of Ick, this is part of managing that parasite. Read the rated flow rate of that drop in. For parasite management you want low flow, long water exposure to uv radiation, most of the drop in UV flow to fast, but they will help with water born algae's.

If you have high nitrates and phos, reduce the amount you are feeding. Everything I add seems to add phos to mine, especially food. Watch your fish, if they stay sleek and smooth they are well fed, it is very noticeable when fish get skinny from lack of food.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back