UV sterilizer - Question

Charles Belisle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my 240 Gallon tank it came with a UV sterilizer. Currently, I just have water passing through it with the light off. I have a 55 sump with a refugium. The refugium has about 6 tennis ball sized Chaeto and sizeable copepods that population that is just starting to take hold. I also run a sizeable skimmer for the tank. The UV light is plumed so that it would not go through the refugium and the refugium would not go through the UV light. Both dump separately into the return chamber. When cycling the tank; the LFS told me to not run the UV sterilizer. Or if I was going to use it; to only run it a couple hours a week. My chem levels are good: Amm: 0.25 , Nitir: 0.0, Nitras: 0, Phos (this one is tricky - because I use API and it results are: 0.00, 0.50, 1.0, 2.0 etc). Normally tank is measuring at 0.5 to 1.0. I have Zoas and Torches as corals - (no SPS); so some Phos is good. Tank is nice and clear (when I clean the acrylic from its weekly algae coating). I do see small traces of bad algae (GHA) on few rocks / frag plugs; but nothing that Lawnmower Bennie isn't happy to clean up.

So here is my question - What do I gain by running the UV sterilizer? - From what I read - It removes bad stuff from water that will make corals / fish sick - Micro-organisms. Am I missing out on good stuff by not running one? How often should it be ran? Will it hurt my refugium / Pods with the way I have it running? Tank seems to be running good (knocked on wood - to prevent jinx).

Are you for running UV sterilizer or against one on a reef set-up? and how would you run one?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether I'm for or against depends on what is going on in the tank. Sounds like you're doing fine without it.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv does a lot of interesting positive effects. For one it breaks down some organics. It can also convert nitrite and nitrate to OH- and nitric oxide by a process called photolysis iirc. Could also potentially destroy coral warfare chemicals. Imo the benefits greatly outweigh killing a few pods.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back