----UV STERILIZERS----

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300gallon reef tank and a 80gallon reef tank. I have never run a UV before but have been considering it for Aiptasia control mainly.
Who is using them and what's your opinion on them and does anyone have a recommendation on brand and size and pumps for the two tanks I mentioned above?
Thank you

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for possibly reducing algae in the water column. worthless for pest/disease control, unless you get one that insanely oversized.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running UV to help with a dino problem....which it did totally eliminate (with some other methods, that weren't working on their own). Since UV is only effective for water that passes through it, I don't think it would be of much use against Aiptasia. The effectiveness of UV is based on strength of the bulb, water clarity, and amount of time the water is in the UV unit. As cromag008 stated, you need to install a large, over-sized unit which will allow you to slow down the water flow (for parasites) or speed it up (for bacterial/algae). Again, it won't totally eliminate anything, but it can help with a lot of issues.

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think UV "sterilizers" are grossly over rated. They may kill some algae and bacteria, however they do not sterilize. The effectiveness of these units can vary with the wave length and intensity of the bulb, dwell time of the water in the unit and clarity of the water. Although UV light is very effective at killing microorganisms, this greatly depends on how long they are exposed to it. Its not instant death. If the water is cloudy, it will scatter the light, if the water is moving too quickly, it will not have time to work properly.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think UV "sterilizers" are grossly over rated. They may kill some algae and bacteria, however they do not sterilize. The effectiveness of these units can vary with the wave length and intensity of the bulb, dwell time of the water in the unit and clarity of the water. Although UV light is very effective at killing microorganisms, this greatly depends on how long they are exposed to it. Its not instant death. If the water is cloudy, it will scatter the light, if the water is moving too quickly, it will not have time to work properly.
At the appropriate wattage and flow, it truly does sterilize by definition.

The problem is probably 80% of users undersize it or run too quick of a flow. To the OP, it will do nothing for aiptasia.

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the appropriate wattage and flow, it truly does sterilize by definition.

The problem is probably 80% of users undersize it or run too quick of a flow. To the OP, it will do nothing for aiptasia.
In my experience in the pharmaceutical industry, UV light will not sterilize water. They can call it what they want, there will never be enough dwell time or intensity to more than sanitize. Im not trying to be a tool here, its just a pet peeve of mine...They will reduce but not eliminate bioburden.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience in the pharmaceutical industry, UV light will not sterilize water. They can call it what they want, there will never be enough dwell time or intensity to more than sanitize. Im not trying to be a tool here, its just a pet peeve of mine...They will reduce but not eliminate bioburden.
My time as an environmental scientist did not focus on UV so I'll defer to your expertise on this one. [emoji4]

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1073.JPG
Just for fun... the unit abive is similar to what we use in my plant. There's enough current flowing through here to power a Van Halen concert. The unit is about 15 feet long and 24 inches in diameter. Notice how small the flow through pipe is. This unit disinfects water before it is sent through terminal sterilizing filters.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but with your application, is it a one pass system?

I would imagine there is some degree of loopback redundancy in our closed system reefs that allows for some increased efficiency with time as the same water volume continually passes through the UV filter? Just thinking out loud here.

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but with your application, is it a one pass system?

I would imagine there is some degree of loopback redundancy in our closed system reefs that allows for some increased efficiency with time as the same water volume continually passes through the UV filter? Just thinking out loud here.
Its once through. However, its direct exposure time to penetrate cell membranes and ionize proteins and DNA. Its not cumulative or I would not spend 10 million dollars a year on filters, cold sterilizing chemicals and steam.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a UV. The flow through it is very slow, about 45 gph. The slower the better. It gives the light more time to kill parasites. Dentist offices use UV to sterilize the tools so it obviously works. I run it 24/7. At the end of the day if it helps with parasites great, if not then no harm done.

That being said, it will do no good again aiptasia. The minimal amount of spores that go through it will probably get killed, but most will stick to the rocks and glass. The only solution is to get some berghia nudibranch. They are expensive but they work. I always have a couple aiptasia. When they get bad enough, I buy more.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a UV. The flow through it is very slow, about 45 gph. The slower the better. It gives the light more time to kill parasites. Dentist offices use UV to sterilize the tools so it obviously works. I run it 24/7. At the end of the day if it helps with parasites great, if not then no harm done.

That being said, it will do no good again aiptasia. The minimal amount of spores that go through it will probably get killed, but most will stick to the rocks and glass. The only solution is to get some berghia nudibranch. They are expensive but they work. I always have a couple aiptasia. When they get bad enough, I buy more.

I had a bad outbreak in my 300 with aiptasia. I tried everything you could possibly think of even 100 nudis. And they did some damage but couldn't keep up. Wound up rebooting the tank. Which I am still in the process of. And am concerned about another outbreak.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad outbreak in my 300 with aiptasia. I tried everything you could possibly think of even 100 nudis. And they did some damage but couldn't keep up. Wound up rebooting the tank. Which I am still in the process of. And am concerned about another outbreak.
100 nudibranch? I put 10 in my 150 and in 2 months they cleaned it out except for 1 or 2 in my overflow or on my return tubes. Did something eat them?

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 nudis in to combat flatworm. They (the nudis) simply disappeared, never to be seen again. I'm running up a 2nd 140 and will use Exit on the remaining water in the old tank.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 nudibranch? I put 10 in my 150 and in 2 months they cleaned it out except for 1 or 2 in my overflow or on my return tubes. Did something eat them?

Yes I bought 100. I don't think anything ate them. I have nothing that I would think would eat them. Also as I pulled old aiptasia infested rocks out I seen a few pretty large Nudis on the bottom of the rocks. I shook them off so there are still some in the tank.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 nudis in to combat flatworm. They (the nudis) simply disappeared, never to be seen again. I'm running up a 2nd 140 and will use Exit on the remaining water in the old tank.
Why would you put nudis in for flatworms? The ONLY thing they eat is aiptasia.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back