VarioS-6 pump lost most of its flow????

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed and starting using this as my return pump on August 23rd of this year. It has worked flawlessly since that day, up until yesterday afternoon feeding time! As usual I turned it off, fed and when I turned it back on, I noticed the lack of forceful water when the returns are above the water line.

I turned it off and on, unplugged for over 10 minutes, took it apart and did a cleaning with RODI water (all looked clean anyway), checked my return nozzles, actually removed them and still no flow. So I normally run it at level 2, but now MAX level 6 is less flow than level 1 was!

The only thing I noticed, is that when I removed the front of the housing to inspect the impeller and such, that plate that holds the impeller and shaft, is not seated fully into the motor. I cleaned and reinstalled and it clicks into place when assembling, but when I remove it again after use it is not tight.

Any ideas? I submitted a ticket to support, but did not hear back yet. Reached out to my LFS where I purchased and they are having their ordering manager get their Reef Octopus rep to call me.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! Love the pump, it's completely silent in the sump! My recliner in the living room is only about three feet from it and I can't hear it at all!

Also the VarioS-2 is silent in my skimmer!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest not turning it off completely during feeding and just lowering the flow so it's always pushing a little water. That's the great thing about using DC pumps.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate that advisew to all this. Had a Fluval-spec v since February and just bought a Red Sea 300xl two months back. I was turning it off to stop the food from making it to the sump. Is that not such a bad thing?

Always looking to make sure I'm doing things right!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure! Love the pump, it's completely silent in the sump! My recliner in the living room is only about three feet from it and I can't hear it at all!

Also the VarioS-2 is silent in my skimmer!

Thats great to hear! My new tank is going in the living room and i wanted this take to be quite. I had the jabeo and it was super loud

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine! I usually run it on level 2, but I could for sure go higher and still not hear it.

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of tanks in the living room. I run the new G5 radions. The defuser does an outstanding job of knocking down the glare! Makes it so much more comfortable to watch a movie!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats awesome! I have the ap700 and its not to bad but a diffuser would be nice! Do you think it would affect the shimmering affect? I have radions gen 2 but I just can not make a good program for some reason lol

OP
OP
R

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had researched a lot before ordering the lights you can find some pretty good YouTube videos about the diffuser. I agree with them in that the shimmering looks even better with the diffusers! The reduction in light is negligible!

I also love the way they magnetically attach! I do find though that I remove them now when doing any maintenance to the tank because I have a tendency to always knock them into the water :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate that advisew to all this. Had a Fluval-spec v since February and just bought a Red Sea 300xl two months back. I was turning it off to stop the food from making it to the sump. Is that not such a bad thing?

Always looking to make sure I'm doing things right!
The amount of food that would make it to the sump with reduced flow is negligible and not something I would worry about. Again, you would use the lowest setting that would still push water into the display and keep it from draining. That's the beauty of DC, adjustability.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back