Veggie clip

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than seaweed what else is safe to feed fish ?
Over the years I have tried many things including broccoli , cucumber which foxface loves .
but I have not seen anything similar to how much every fish in my system loves romaine lettuce .
Is it safe ?

All tangs , and emperor will have one while leaf gone in less than 1 hour

AB5AFC99-A976-4225-A552-5EF849C310A9.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been feeding my guys romaine for years. They love it. And by they I mean all my fish: tangs, wrasses, triggers, anthias. Moreso than nori. I checked the nutritional content and it is pretty good in that category vs. iceberg lettuce which is minimal. Another benefit: it doesn’t come apart and go all over the tank like nori.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been feeding my guys romaine for years. They love it. And by they I mean all my fish: tangs, wrasses, triggers, anthias. Moreso than nori. I checked the nutritional content and it is pretty good in that category vs. iceberg lettuce which is minimal. Another benefit: it doesn’t come apart and go all over the tank like nori.
The odd piece floats to the over flow and plugs it up but it’s not the only veggie these fish will eat .
Foxface eats the centre from cucumber leaving the ring as the skin .

trigger is a savage with anything on the clip . The only fish that never goes to check out the clip is the clownfish

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I buy organic so no pesticides. A 3 pack lasts quite a while. My guys must be neat eaters as nothing ever floats away and they eat the lettuce down to the nub. Even the stalk. Nori winds up all over.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try this! Nori ends up all over the place in my tank and causes me to get creative in how I put it in there.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first introduced romaine my blue jaw triggers wouldn’t go near it. But then they saw the commotion by all the other fish and decided to give it a try. Now they are part of the feeding frenzy when the leaf goes in. The funny thing is unlike the tangs who bite off discrete pieces, the triggers kinda gnaw on it. Funny to watch.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Over the years I have tried many things including broccoli , cucumber which foxface loves .
but I have not seen anything similar to how much every fish in my system loves romaine lettuce .
Is it safe ?

I see you have romaine lettuce. be sure to freeze it to separate the cellulose film making it easier for them to eat. Romaine safe. Broccoli florets good but they tend to float

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first introduced romaine my blue jaw triggers wouldn’t go near it. But then they saw the commotion by all the other fish and decided to give it a try. Now they are part of the feeding frenzy when the leaf goes in. The funny thing is unlike the tangs who bite off discrete pieces, the triggers kinda gnaw on it. Funny to watch.
The angelfish takes the biggest chunks

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have romaine lettuce. be sure to freeze it to separate the cellulose film making it easier for them to eat. Romaine safe. Broccoli florets good but they tend to float
How long to freeze?

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long to freeze?
Has anyone ever froze lettuce
I believe it would lose a large percentage of its nutrition but perhaps I’m wrong.
Does freezing make it perhaps better or easier for them to metabolize ?

if I could only find a way to grow kelp …..

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever froze lettuce
I believe it would lose a large percentage of its nutrition but perhaps I’m wrong.
Does freezing make it perhaps better or easier for them to metabolize ?

if I could only find a way to grow kelp …..
I don’t and doesn’t seem to be an issue with them eating/ digesting it. Thinking freezing would make it wilt badly so would lose the crunchiness I think the fish enjoy. And possibly some of the nutritional value. Sticking with what works for me.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have tried that, probably would have saved a bunch of money.

My spoiled tangs got whole foods Nori...

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t and doesn’t seem to be an issue with them eating/ digesting it. Thinking freezing would make it wilt badly so would lose the crunchiness I think the fish enjoy. And possibly some of the nutritional value. Sticking with what works for me.
I agree .

ejsanchez92399

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe ?

How do
How do you feed broccoli anyway? Does it not get clogged in the filtration, I mean the floaties?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do

How do you feed broccoli anyway? Does it not get clogged in the filtration, I mean the floaties?
Its the florets you feed (the little petals). I have many tangs and they come to the surface and put them away

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 65 59.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back