Velvet, brook or Ich

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve had a past with ich in my tank from when I brought in my goldrim tang 8 months ago.

All was well after the first two weeks of adding it, has been clear till the last 3 weeks.

Sudden sort of outbreak after adding a firefish. At the time my cardinals were also breading so we’re a little a aggressive.

I don’t have a QT set up currently. I treated the display with antibacterial and parazoryne, the ich has not been seen as such on the tang for a week now... HOWEVER, the tang is breathing faster than normal. There is also a grainy look to its skin. My two clownfish also have this grainy look to them and are breathing a little faster too.

All others are fine at the moment. All fish in the tank are still eating.

My question is... what is the best course for this. I don’t want to make any knee jerk reactions and cause more problems than I am fixing.

Parma’s:
Am:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:2/3
Sal:1.026
Phos:0.2 ish
Calc:450
Mag1400
Alk8.5

Really am looking not to lose anything here and am willing to do what it takes. Main concerns is water quality with a QT and risking losing them that way.

Help.

Thanks in advanced.

Tom

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures? It would help the experts that watch the forum here. It could be anything you mentioned, but in my own little head velvet is "grainy". The gasping also would add up. A QT and fallow period in the DT will likely be in order either way :( Hope you can get some pics.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree pics would help with a diagnosis. It does sound like you may be dealing with velvet. Hard to tell.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Tom !!! :( In your case I would setup a QT asap and transfer the fish. You can use the same tank water if you are not able to make your own water with the same salinity and temperature to start treatment. Also a freshwater dip will help to lose some of those white dots. There's a lot of information here on how to quarantine properly and treat sick fish. Probably in few minutes some of the experts on this matter will get with you. @Brew12 @Humblefish

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures? It would help the experts that watch the forum here. It could be anything you mentioned, but in my own little head velvet is "grainy". The gasping also would add up. A QT and fallow period in the DT will likely be in order either way :( Hope you can get some pics.

This is the best I can do with the actinics.

The tang doesn’t sleep anymore either, becomes very active during the night darting round.

Went through a week of fighting a reflection that happened to be in front of a powerhead, but now doesn’t seem to swim in front of that anymore.

Thanks

435B70EF-CC11-4D34-9726-6652C9F5E4D1.jpeg

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Tom !!! :( In your case I would setup a QT asap and transfer the fish. You can use the same tank water if you are not able to make your own water with the same salinity and temperature to start treatment. Also a freshwater dip will help to lose some of those white dots. There's a lot of information here on how to quarantine properly and treat sick fish. Probably in few minutes some of the experts on this matter will get with you.
Thanks, I don’t want to make a rash decision, but obviously I need to sort this.

So I have a 65 litre storage container, that I can use. However I think it may be a little small for the tang and other 7/8 fish.

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree pics would help with a diagnosis. It does sound like you may be dealing with velvet. Hard to tell.
That’s what I had thought.

But it was textbook ich to start with. Perfect sand specs, no grainy look to the fish. But it’s jusy escalated over the last few days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I had thought.

But it was textbook ich to start with. Perfect sand specs, no grainy look to the fish. But it’s jusy escalated over the last few days.

The clown may have Brook. Can't see a whole lot in that pic. I know taking pictures of fish is difficult.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

I would really like to see the tang as well.

It's not common to see ich/velvet on clownfish. Just like it's not common to see Brook on fish other than clowns. It is possible however.

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown may have Brook. Can't see a whole lot in that pic. I know taking pictures of fish is difficult.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

I would really like to see the tang as well.

It's not common to see ich/velvet on clownfish. Just like it's not common to see Brook on fish other than clowns. It is possible however.
The lights have shut off now so I will have to take some tomorrow morning GMT.

The clowns haven’t scratched or flashed at all as far as I’m aware.

The tang looks completely clear, it’s just when I look very closely, it’s almost like a dark grey haze, and also has some white misting on its pectoral fins.

I have added an airstone and pointed the pumps at the surface to increase oxygen kncase they are really struggling.

How long have I got, i mean, this has been like this for about 4-5 days now. As I didn’t want to make any incorrect moves, in the hopes that reducing stress would help to allow them to recover after the medication that was in the tank.

Thanks again

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say the textbook ich was on the tang. Not any other fish. Which is why only now I have decided that something needs to be done.

The clowns have only started developing this 4-5 days ago.

Everyone is still eating and I am feeding multiple times a day.

If QT is the only/most recommended method. Will that be big enough? What is my process. I know there is a whole host of information but if you could let me know the best method to get this done that would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang this morning is really struggling, laying near the bottom panting. What is the best thing to do. Or am I too late to help.

Very sad morning. The male clown is also looking rough unfortunately

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be sure to take every info from us with a grain of salt. We have very little information to work with. My call is brook. I assume your clowns had it since you got them. Brook often doesnt get symptomatic untill fish are stressed. -> tang with ich gets added to the tank could be that cause of stress. Also treating a dt with any kind of medication puts stress on everything in the tank aswell. It might leat to parameter swings which, again lead to stress on the fish. And stressed fish are an easy target for disease.

Now to treatment. If you want to stand a chance against this or any further disease get a qt.

That means

Get a cheap 20g or so tank for 10-20$
Get an airstone or a cheap powerhead for 10$
Get a small heater and a thermostate for 15$
Get a small hang on spongefilter.

More isnt really needed at all. Id recommend an ammonia batch aswell but definitely be sure to check out humblefishes post on qt in the disease forum.

U see thats a total of about 60$ which is the price of about 2 fish.

Lastly brook and velvet will kill your fish. Theres no question on thet. Its just about when. Every fish in your dt has the parasite of whichever disease is in the tank so every one of them will get the disease and die off it at one point. You will have to leave your tank fallow(without fish) for an extended period of time up to 70 days or so to extinct the parasite.

Good luck!

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be sure to take every info from us with a grain of salt. We have very little information to work with. My call is brook. I assume your clowns had it since you got them. Brook often doesnt get symptomatic untill fish are stressed. -> tang with ich gets added to the tank could be that cause of stress. Also treating a dt with any kind of medication puts stress on everything in the tank aswell. It might leat to parameter swings which, again lead to stress on the fish. And stressed fish are an easy target for disease.

Now to treatment. If you want to stand a chance against this or any further disease get a qt.

That means

Get a cheap 20g or so tank for 10-20$
Get an airstone or a cheap powerhead for 10$
Get a small heater and a thermostate for 15$
Get a small hang on spongefilter.

More isnt really needed at all. Id recommend an ammonia batch aswell but definitely be sure to check out humblefishes post on qt in the disease forum.

U see thats a total of about 60$ which is the price of about 2 fish.

Lastly brook and velvet will kill your fish. Theres no question on thet. Its just about when. Every fish in your dt has the parasite of whichever disease is in the tank so every one of them will get the disease and die off it at one point. You will have to leave your tank fallow(without fish) for an extended period of time up to 70 days or so to extinct the parasite.

Good luck!
Thanks for the information.

The clowns and tang were the first 3 into the tank 8 months ago. It was since the bangaiis started to breed that the stress has been increased.

I think I am too late to save the tang. It’s laying on its side at the bottom gasping.

The clowns are still swimming around as normal now. I have got all my stuff together and can set up a QT For the rest of the fish, providing I can catch them.

With regards to cycling?? I have a lump of dry cured but not cycled rock that won’t be used for the display so is it worth putting that in the QT along with all the ceramic media in the DT?

I’m thinking to copper treat but am relatively uneducated on how that effects the bacteria in the system and would never forgive myself if I had an ammonia spike that finished the lot.

Fish are:
2 tangerine clowns
Firefish
Diamond goby
Pink scooter blenny
2 bangaiis
Tang-I don’t think it would make the move

Thanks

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information.

The clowns and tang were the first 3 into the tank 8 months ago. It was since the bangaiis started to breed that the stress has been increased.

I think I am too late to save the tang. It’s laying on its side at the bottom gasping.

The clowns are still swimming around as normal now. I have got all my stuff together and can set up a QT For the rest of the fish, providing I can catch them.

With regards to cycling?? I have a lump of rock that won’t be used for the display so is it worth putting that in the QT along with all the ceramic media in the DT?

I’m thinking to copper treat but am relatively uneducated on how that effects the bacteria in the system and would never forgive myself if I had an ammonia spike that finished the lot.

Fish are:
2 tangerine clowns
Firefish
Diamond goby
Pink scooter blenny
2 bangaiis
Tang-I don’t think it would make the move

Thanks
If it's ich you need to treat with copper. If it's Brook you need to treat with Metroplex.

Can you post pics of the tang?

I would move your ceramic media to QT. You also will need an ammonia badge to monitor through medicating tank. Ammonia test kits aren't accurate in the presence of copper.

I would leave the LR out. You can also add a bottled bacteria product like biospira. Or Fritz turbo start.

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ich you need to treat with copper. If it's Brook you need to treat with Metroplex.

I would move your ceramic media to QT. You also will need an ammonia badge to monitor through medicating tank. Ammonia test kits aren't accurate in the presence of copper.

I would leave the LR out. You can also add a bottled bacteria product like biospira. Or Fritz turbo start.

The tang is very hidy, but not dead. Has sprung back to life. Panting heavy. I have cleaned out my old tank and am going to start mixing the water up.

Don’t have any copper or ammonia badge on hand. Will get that today

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dorsnt ceramic media absorb medication just as much as lr?

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just performed a freshwater dip on it, hoping that would help as all the LFS around me were closed yesterday. If it makes it today then I will have the QT set up and start treatment.

What do you think this is??

Thanks

884EE6E8-21B2-4FD0-A922-503B1CD3D713.png

OP
OP
TomBlakee

TomBlakee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I lost it, couldn’t make it through it and looked as though it suffocated from the slime in its gills.

Such a shame to lose such a nice fish.

I am going to my LFS today to speak with them about a treatment plan for the rest of my fish.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st confirm brook.

Theres treatment plans in the forum from humblefish for all diseases. I could give you advice but his is better:)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back