Velvet in my Tank.. Now what?

GibsonReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Royal Gramma Basset from my LFS and it went MIA a few weeks ago. Within 2 weeks my 2 clownfish contracted and died of what I believe was Marine Velvet. My hawkfish is still holding strong and showing no symptoms. I started treating the tank with seachem Paraguard. How long should I streat the tank? How long should I wait to get new fish? 40 gallong breeder currently fish only.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Royal Gramma Basset from my LFS and it went MIA a few weeks ago. Within 2 weeks my 2 clownfish contracted and died of what I believe was Marine Velvet. My hawkfish is still holding strong and showing no symptoms. I started treating the tank with seachem Paraguard. How long should I streat the tank? How long should I wait to get new fish? 40 gallong breeder currently fish only.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Paraguard just isn’t very effective in marine tanks, I only use it for freshwater fish.

What symptoms did you see that had you leaning towards it being velvet?

Generally, I wait a minimum of 30 days after unexplained fish loss before adding any new fish, but longer is safer.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GibsonReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Paraguard just isn’t very effective in marine tanks, I only use it for freshwater fish.

What symptoms did you see that had you leaning towards it being velvet?

Generally, I wait a minimum of 30 days after unexplained fish loss before adding any new fish, but longer is safer.

Jay
Lethargy, tiny white spots on their bodies, symptoms and death came very quickly. what should I do with the Hawk Fish? don’t really have anywhere to put a QT tank.. is dosing the paraguard better then doing nothing at this point?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish breathing fast before they died? That is typically the major symptom of velvet. Velvet is a very aggressive disease, copper treatment will be the only reliable method.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep- you need a quarantine tank to treat with copper. Put the tank on the floor if you have to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lethargy, tiny white spots on their bodies, symptoms and death came very quickly. what should I do with the Hawk Fish? don’t really have anywhere to put a QT tank.. is dosing the paraguard better then doing nothing at this point?
IF velvet, you want to treat them both but as Jay asked- Can you confirm velvet?
Any pics showing velvet? Tiny white spots can be fluke-amyllodium and others.
With velvet, fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.

OP
OP
G

GibsonReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF velvet, you want to treat them both but as Jay asked- Can you confirm velvet?
Any pics showing velvet? Tiny white spots can be fluke-amyllodium and others.
With velvet, fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.
did not notice them scratching up against anything. they typically dug in the sand and rubbed against it so that wasn’t abnormal. I did notice the one clown fish swimming in a different area of the tank then usual against the current. This did spark my interest but other then that he ate and acted normally. They both did seem to keep their fins close to the body and fins looks rough. The white clownfish had a reddish spot right above its eyes that the first symptom I notice and knew something was wrong.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
did not notice them scratching up against anything. they typically dug in the sand and rubbed against it so that wasn’t abnormal. I did notice the one clown fish swimming in a different area of the tank then usual against the current. This did spark my interest but other then that he ate and acted normally. They both did seem to keep their fins close to the body and fins looks rough. The white clownfish had a reddish spot right above its eyes that the first symptom I notice and knew something was wrong.
You can again if certain to be velvet treat with ruby rally pro or treat in a quarantine tank with coppersafe treatment for 30 days. With multiple fish showing symptoms, I would consider treatment for all in quarantine and leave display tank fishless for at least 6 weeks to assure any protozoan have died off without a host fish

OP
OP
G

GibsonReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can again if certain to be velvet treat with ruby rally pro or treat in a quarantine tank with coppersafe treatment for 30 days. With multiple fish showing symptoms, I would consider treatment for all in quarantine and leave display tank fishless for at least 6 weeks to assure any protozoan have died off without a host fish
the two clowns that showed symptoms have already passed. They were both gone within 2 days of the first showing symptoms. The hawk fish is still alive abd has shown no symptoms. Eating and “swimming” normally. Have been treating with paraguard for 3 days with no carbon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
the two clowns that showed symptoms have already passed. They were both gone within 2 days of the first showing symptoms. The hawk fish is still alive abd has shown no symptoms. Eating and “swimming” normally. Have been treating with paraguard for 3 days with no carbon.
paraguard is pretty much worthless and MAY work in freshwater but ineffective with salt Regardless of what manufacturer claims. Ruby Rally or Copper are your only hope and you need to initiate treatment sooner than later before what you have progresses.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others indicated paraguard is useless for your situation. Copper treatment in QT tank is required. Ruby rally pro may be a second option. Your DT tank will need to remain fallow for 76 days .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like ich to me. Velvet causes rapid breathing, hovering into water currents and then death in a few days.
Copper handles both of these issues, but like I said, Paraguard doesn’t work as well. I guess you don’t have many options though, sorry.

Jay

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, the lack of symptoms on other fish don't mean they aren't sick. It just means their immune systems aren't currently overwhelmed to the point where they're actively dying. Any fish that's been in a tank with an active ich or velvet infection is going to be infected itself.

OP
OP
G

GibsonReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like ich to me. Velvet causes rapid breathing, hovering into water currents and then death in a few days.
Copper handles both of these issues, but like I said, Paraguard doesn’t work as well. I guess you don’t have many options though, sorry.

Jay
the only other difference was a week prior I did my first water change making my own water. Had been using pre-made salt water from Petco but made my own saltwater for this water change. Salinity was matched, used RODI water same RODI I’ve been topping off with. Used Tropic Marin pro reef salt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only other difference was a week prior I did my first water change making my own water. Had been using pre-made salt water from Petco but made my own saltwater for this water change. Salinity was matched, used RODI water same RODI I’ve been topping off with. Used Tropic Marin pro reef salt.
That is unlikely to have been an issue - and you can completely rule that out if you had invertebrates in the tank, they would have died from water issues before fish will.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.4%
Back